cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds of being approved? Should I just wait a while?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odds of being approved? Should I just wait a while?

I would like to know what you think my odds are of being approved (within the next 3 or 4 months) for the following cards:

Citi Costco Anywhere

Chase Amazon

I started trying to rebuild my credit about 7 months ago when my scores were around 590.  Now they are in the 640's according to CK and 653 according to Merrick.  I don't know what my EX score is, I have not been able to access it in years.  Utilization around 4%. 

Negatives:

2 inquiries on both TU and EQ

2 unpaid collections from 2015 and 2017  both for around $200 and both on TU and EQ

Unpaid state tax lien on TU

I currently have the following cards and cl's all of which are about 7 months old except Discover It and AAdvantage which are both within the past month:

Merrick             $1400

Affirm                 $1400

VS                        $300

Kohls                   $300

Wayfair                 $400

Paypal Credit       $3000

Discover it            $6500  

Citi Aadvantage   $4000 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Odds of being approved? Should I just wait a while?

You're kind of in a gray area where your scores are decent but not spectacular, and you have few inquiries which is a good thing but also some derogatory features which may scare new lenders. Since you have a Citi card, maybe they'll be a little more comfortable with you getting a second card from them especially if you ask for some limit to be moved from the AAdvantage card so they're not giving you any more exposure. Give it a shot, good luck!

By the way, you can get your Experian FICO score for free just by signing up for an account on their website.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried several times with Experian.  They email me when there is a change in my report but somehow I cannot log in or see the report.  When I try to log in they say there is no account found.  I should try calling again but like I said, this has been going on for years.  I checked to see if I put a freeze on the account but they said no.

Anyway, is there a time frame that I should allow to pass before applying for the Citi Costco card?  I haven't even received the Citi Aadvantage card in the mail yet.  Does that matter?

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may know this, but for Citi personal cards you have to have at least 8 days between 2 apps, and you can't apply for more than 2 cards in a 60 day period (wait 65 days). Assuming that's your second card app with Citi in the last 2 months you should be fine as long as you have at least 8 days since the AA app.

I imagine since they gave you the AA card (platinum I assume) they'll give you the Costco card...then again, I recently applied for the Sapphire Preferred and Amazon Visa with Chase at the same time, was approved for the CSP but denied the Amazon card: they said I had too many recent accounts/requests for credit @_@ I opened 5 cards between July and those 2 apps, including the CSP and a business card...all but 2 of those cards were with Chase. Even when I offered to close one of my other Chase cards they still denied me.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
You may know this, but for Citi personal cards you have to have at least 8 days between 2 apps, and you can't apply for more than 2 cards in a 60 day period (wait 65 days). Assuming that's your second card app with Citi in the last 2 months you should be fine as long as you have at least 8 days since the AA app.

@I imagine since they gave you the AA card (platinum I assume) they'll give you the Costco card...then again, I recently applied for the Sapphire Preferred and Amazon Visa with Chase at the same time, was approved for the CSP but denied the Amazon card: they said I had too many recent accounts/requests for credit @_@ I opened 5 cards between July and those 2 apps, including the CSP and a business card...all but 2 of those cards were with Chase. Even when I offered to close one of my other Chase cards they still denied me.

I didn't know that.  I applied for the AA card on the 1st.  So that means I can apply for the Costco card now correct?  Do you know if it is another hp?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the AA is the only card you've applied for with them, you should be fine now. You would need to wait 60 days for a third app.

www.doctorofcredit.com/citis-application-rule-explained-865-rule/amp/
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
If the AA is the only card you've applied for with them, you should be fine now. You would need to wait 60 days for a third app.

www.doctorofcredit.com/citis-application-rule-explained-865-rule/amp/

Thanks.  I re-read the above post and saw that I had misinterpreted it.  Still wondering if it is a hp or sp.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd assume it's a hard pull. Until I started reading this forum more closely I didn't even realize some cards could be had with SPs lol.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your help.  This forum has been amazing.  So much knowledge among the members.  I just applied for the Costco card and was approved for $4k.  I will now give it a bit of time before I apply for the Amazon card.  I am just thrilled right now.  My credit journey has come a long way in the past year.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice one dude, glad it worked out!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.