cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds of getting approved for a Chase card under these conditions?

tag
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Re: Odds of getting approved for a Chase card under these conditions?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all. I found these forums last week and finally decided to throw my own account to the mix to assist w/ data points for Discover and Amex. But I also have a question!

I've had student loans since 2014. This has made it possible for me to have a FICO credit score. But I only got my first credit card in January of this year. Then an Amex last month (BCE). I've read that Chase absolutely hates granting cards to people w/ < 1 year of credit history, but is that *credit card history* or *overall credit history*? Because like I said, I have ~3 years of overall history, but just a few months of (flawless) credit card history regarding utilization and payments.

I really want the Freedom card for the $150 cash back after $500 spend, but don't want to apply if I'm going to get rejected. Help? Smiley Happy

And for what it's worth, I'm currently a student making $28k a year through tutoring and a retail gig. My current score as of today is 724 w/ Experian and a little lower on my TU and Equifax reports (still > 705 though).

Discover It (student) line: $2500 (2 CLIs, started at $500)

Amex BCE line: $2000

Considering that you probably just turned 21 recently you are recommended to try getting a prequal first. If it shows any card as prequal from Chase, even if the Freedom is not listed, you can get a Freedom. Your scores for the Freedom are fine since it is Chases lowest card. As for the less than 1 year credit history I am fairly sure it means your oldest account listed is less than 1 year but i have also heard Chase approving people that had no history or credit score at all so YMMV. With the prequal you are pretty much guaranteed to get it otherwise you will probably be able to get it as a cold application.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.