Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer from Citi - PC ATT Universal Paltinum to Thank You Preferred

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Offer from Citi - PC ATT Universal Paltinum to Thank You Preferred

Hello  

I have had a Citi AT&T Universal Plat card for more than a dozen years.  I very rarely use it (once ever few months).  I believe the rewards on it are nearly non-existent (called Citi Easy Deals, or similar).  CL is $9380.  

I have received an e-mail from Citi, offering to change it to Citi Thank You Preferred.  The offer claims that there is no application process, however the card number would change.  I assume this means no hit to credit and hopefully my opening date would remain the same on the credit reports.  The offer states $0 AF and APR would remain the same.  

Can anyone think of any reason to not make this switch?  I assume that the rewards are better on the Thank You Preferred, with the 2% for dining and entertainment?  Any chance the CL could go higher quicker with this card?  The AT&T Universal card is currently one of my lowest limit cards.  

Appreciate any thoughts!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Offer from Citi - PC ATT Universal Paltinum to Thank You Preferred

I'd see if they'd let you convert to double cash. They're trying to sell you on the thank you card but the double cash is better IMO. Why settle for just 2x dining when double cash is 2x anything?
Message 2 of 8
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

I received the same offer to convert for my Dividend WEMC. They clearly state when I convert that my existing cash rewards balance will expire... um no thanks.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

I received the same offer to convert for my Dividend WEMC. They clearly state when I convert that my existing cash rewards balance will expire... um no thanks.

Hmm ... have the same card you do ... glad you posted. Will not give up my Citi WEMC with Revolving Credit Line and cash rewards for a Citi Thank You Card with points that convert to cash at way less than 1:1. Note, I had a Citi Thank You Master Card years back and product changed out of it!

Message 4 of 8
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

That's good they asked you. I had a PC from them several years ago, and all the heads up I got was that they were changing my card on me. Granted the TYP had much better rewards than I was getting with my Driver's Edge that I'd had since college, but still. 

But I can confirm that the age of the account will stay exactly the same and there will be no hit to your credit for it. Like someone else suggested, I would call and see if they'll let you upgrade to the DC, but if not, I would take the offer. 

In the past Citi has always given me auto limit increases after large payments. I've never had to ask for one. But mileage varies and all that. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 5 of 8
EW800
Valued Contributor

I think perhaps I should take Citi up on this offer.  The "Rewards" aspect of the AT&T Universal Card appears to be very bad.  It is called Citi Easy Deals.  It appears that it is no more than just using points to get 10% off of merchandise.  I would lose these points, however the deals do not appear to be much good.  Is anyone else on this Easy Deals program??

I am going to call Citi on Tuesday to see if maybe they will make it the Double Cash instead, but if they will not then perhaps at least switching to the Thank You Preferred is a better deal than the AT&T Universal.  

If there are any other opinions out there, I would certainly welcome them.  Thanks!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 6 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That is the plan I'd go with. Try for the DC first, but if not, then go with the thank you. It seems either would be more beneficial then the one you currently have.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
That is the plan I'd go with. Try for the DC first, but if not, then go with the thank you. It seems either would be more beneficial then the one you currently have.

The Thank You Preferred is a pretty usuelss card though.   So if they don't let you convert to the DC I wouldn't bother (because once you convert you would have to wait a while before you could PC again.   Presumably they want to get rid of the card so may at some point allow you to do convert to the DC.

As you hardly use the current card, the question is would you use the other card more (if not, the relative reward structures hardly matter).   While TY Pref gives 2x on some things, thank you points are not particularly easy to redeem with any value (student loans, travel and mortgage being the best redemptions)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.