Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Officially approved, advice needed!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Officially approved, advice needed!!

I got the email just now from cap1, officially approving my unsecured platinum card enrolled in credit steps. I have a secured platinum with $350cl as well. Based on a butt ton of reading, my strategy is to use the heck out of the unsecured card when it comes, paying it several times a month like I currently do with my secured card. I will greatly limit the use of the secured card, since I don't expect any cli on it. Or should I divide the usage equally to demonstrate to cap 1 that I can handle multiple cards? By now I understand the basics of credit usage, but it's the little nuances like this that make me crazy. Help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Officially approved, advice needed!!

I'm not sure if it will really make a difference which way you go. I believe that the credit steps program just requires that you make full payments for 6 months, or something like that, in order to get a specified credit increase. It may be worth it to try to get an increase on the secured card as well. One question for you: how long have you had the secured card? It might be worth looking into whether you can move the secured card's limit over to the unsecured card after you complete your credit steps program. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My third statement on my secured card drops the first of next week. I keep reading that Cap1 likes to see usage, and people have been reporting some great cli's on unsecured cards in the credit steps program. That's why I started worrying about the best way to use the cards to best prove myself, improve my score and increase my credit limits.

Message 3 of 5
dozzer99
Established Member

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Answering that might help us help you better. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I suppose it would at that lol! Ok, short term goal is to optimize my chances for decent cli on the unsecured card. I have read a lot of threads where after the 3rd statement drops, people are qualifying for anywhere from a $500-$2000 cli, and then still getting the auto cli at the 6th month. Mid range goal is to have 2 unsecured cards with $5000 each sl. Long range is to buy a house in the next year.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.