Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh dear, Amex BCP

tag
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Re: Oh dear, Amex BCP

@Dustink wrote:

Dustin: Cash+ is way down the line, I think the only reason I got approved for the BCP is as cdnewman correctly points out: my internal score and being a current Amex cardholder apparently in good standing (however Amex defines that) is what got me the approval for this one.  I'm not even so certain I could get the Flexperk card now, nor do I need nor want it currently.  My credit report isn't pretty by anyone's standards.

The cash+ and flexperks have the same requirements for approval.

Us Bank is very much a relationship type bank just like AMEX. If you want the Cash+. Get in with them early on and build up to it.

If you get declined for it now, they will either automatically give you the basic cash back card or you can get it on recon. Then after awhile ask for a CLI and PC to Cash+.

I was approved for flexperks in June, and then Cash+ came out not long after. They offered to PC me to cash+, but I declined. That was only 4 months after I got a credit score. So, they are very much a relationship bank. The scores aren't as important as you think. 

Also, setting up a card to autopay will waive their fee on the gold package. That will give an extra 25% bonus on rewards and further your relationship with them.

Just trying to help you come up with ways to rack up the INQs before you have to hold off for the mortgage.

Put simply, it may take years to build up to the score needed to get the cash+. Though it may take less than a year to build up a relationship that will get you the cash+.

+1   I agree with everything Dustin said.  I started with US Bank secured card, after a year it did graduate to unsecured card with $1000 CL. After a couple of months, it got upgraded to cash rewards. Then I did request a CLI to $5000 which they approved and upgraded me to Cash Plus. I did set up auto pay and got the checking account upgraded to gold pkg. After couple of months, I did ask for a CLI to $10,000 and they approved it.!!!! 

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 64
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Btw, Congrats on the approval!!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 42 of 64
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tennisfan78 wrote:

+1   I agree with everything Dustin said.  I started with US Bank secured card, after a year it did graduate to unsecured card with $1000 CL. After a couple of months, it got upgraded to cash rewards. Then I did request a CLI to $5000 which they approved and upgraded me to Cash Plus. I did set up auto pay and got the checking account upgraded to gold pkg. After couple of months, I did ask for a CLI to $10,000 and they approved it.!!!! 

I don't think there's a time difference at all between my going through the similar steps vs. being approved outright for a Cash+.  My path to gold-platedness is getting my stupid tax lien resolved and time passing, and I have no relationship with USBank whatsoever to date.

My problem is even with a reasonable income and not much in the way of mandatory expenses, there's only so many ways I can slice up the pie.  As is, I already have my oars in the water with a number of lenders (BOFA, Chase, USAA, DCU, and now Amex most recently) so I used this opportunity to try to further that.  Amex BCP, USAA MC, and a pending app for a Chase Freedom.  Also PC'd my BOFA Cash Rewards to a Travel Rewards as well.

So if I went with a USBank card, what would I use it for except additional limit?  And really, that's sorta what the USAA card is already - limit, MC, 0 AF tradeline farming... I really have no use for it whatsoever except if it turns out I need USAA as my primary bank or in a place Amex/Visa aren't accepted (yeah right in Los Angeles).  I have no intention of applying for a car loan, a mortgage, or anything else through USBank except for maybe Cash+ (assuming it stays reasonably the same) and until recently they were a virtual unknown in the credit card space, and they're still rather a one-trick wonder in my estimation.  

So when I look at USBank from my standpoint, they just aren't a lender to wrap my arms around, and odds are they likely aren't going to be a huge fan of me either.  My best bet with them is to walk through the front door, *after* I'm already qualified for the product I want from them in my opinion... so they simply can't be a part of my game plan now.  Besides, I have no trouble racking up inquiries on my own when I choose Smiley Happy.

        
Message 43 of 64
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Rev on the BCP Smiley Happy 

Love how ZYNC has opened the doors Smiley Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 44 of 64
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hah, for once in my life I was closer on target than Open123.  CL 1000, so hopefully by end of year I will be >5K on the tradeline.

With the absurd approval, I'll take whatever Amex is willing to give; I nearly burst out laughing though when after the system told me the CL (turns out there's a delay in the systems for CL if not instantly approved or something), and then stated for an increase my account must be in good standing for a period of time.

        
Message 45 of 64
antae
New Contributor

Good job, congrats.

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 46 of 64
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Hah, for once in my life I was closer on target than Open123.  CL 1000, so hopefully by end of year I will be >5K on the tradeline.

With the absurd approval, I'll take whatever Amex is willing to give; I nearly burst out laughing though when after the system told me the CL (turns out there's a delay in the systems for CL if not instantly approved or something), and then stated for an increase my account must be in good standing for a period of time.

im sure with your spending pattern you will get that limit high in a couple of months. congrats

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 47 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Well this was frankly unexpected; my FICO is around 650 which I "knew" to be lower than their underwriting criteria which is commonly held to be around 680 for this particular card.

When I found out my mortage process is now delayed by a year, I simply decided to make the "annual application until approved" expecting fully to be denied, and abusing Amex's SP policy to receive my EX FICO to figure out where I stood.  Didn't get the expected instant denial, and instead got the 7-10 day pending message... so checking the well known application link for pure giggles:

01/13/13
BLUE CASH PREFERRED(SM)
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days. 
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, <click here> to view the status of that transfer

Time to go reset my gardening date.  Also time to update my own long-held misconceptions about the underwriting criteria for this card, perhaps it really is as easy to qualify for as the Delta one now... also getting one of my end-game cards while still clearly rebuilding, um, priceless!

Edit: CL $1000, approved FICO score still not known.

Now i hope you understand why i am really confused with the unerwriting process but congrats in your case

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 48 of 64
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@astritaho1979 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Well this was frankly unexpected; my FICO is around 650 which I "knew" to be lower than their underwriting criteria which is commonly held to be around 680 for this particular card.

When I found out my mortage process is now delayed by a year, I simply decided to make the "annual application until approved" expecting fully to be denied, and abusing Amex's SP policy to receive my EX FICO to figure out where I stood.  Didn't get the expected instant denial, and instead got the 7-10 day pending message... so checking the well known application link for pure giggles:

01/13/13
BLUE CASH PREFERRED(SM)
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days. 
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, <click here> to view the status of that transfer

Time to go reset my gardening date.  Also time to update my own long-held misconceptions about the underwriting criteria for this card, perhaps it really is as easy to qualify for as the Delta one now... also getting one of my end-game cards while still clearly rebuilding, um, priceless!

Edit: CL $1000, approved FICO score still not known.

Now i hope you understand why i am really confused with the unerwriting process but congrats in your case

Actually now you've managed to confuse me; you haven't posted on this topic previously, what confusion to you refer to in this case?

        
Message 49 of 64
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I'm definitely surprised Amex didn't give you at least $5K.  

However, with a good spend and pay history on this card, I'd imagine a $3K in 61 days should be assured.  Then, $9K in 6 months thereafter!  The important thing is to have the revolver.  

This is a great card with which to build a CL.

Message 50 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.