Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh no! Paid BOA 99/500 card late!

tag
techman2008
New Contributor

Re: Oh no! Paid BOA 99/500 card late!

Oh boa did that all the time.  Especially on credit cards.  I had amex and visa and each month due date is different each month.   Like they're hoping you're not checking your account so they can charge you a late fee. 

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

While my wife had that experience with BoA, I had the exact same experience with CapOne, who refused me a CLI due to a payment 5 months previous which posted the day after the date due.

Capital One recenty refused to waive AF or do a product change to a card with no AF when I called the back door number because my payment was late by 3 hours in December. They welcomed me to apply for the no AF card online. I know some have had good luck with Capital One, but I'm done with them for CCs (still have an auto loan with them that I've never had issues).

Message 12 of 24
gpeach
Regular Contributor

The due date changed" is an understandable mistake, they may forgive you for 1 day late if you show concern. If nothing else you could probably get that $35 charge reversed.

My experience when I called in said they would credit me half. I ended up with a 12.00 credit. Which is more like a third. I was literally one day late too. Personally don' t do automatic payments anymore for credit cards due to that situation. Can't trust them.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpeach wrote:

The due date changed" is an understandable mistake, they may forgive you for 1 day late if you show concern. If nothing else you could probably get that $35 charge reversed.

My experience when I called in said they would credit me half. I ended up with a 12.00 credit. Which is more like a third. I was literally one day late too. Personally don' t do automatic payments anymore for credit cards due to that situation. Can't trust them.

The auto payment should be by the CCC, not by Bill Pay.  If you sign up for the CCC to auto draft the minimum (or PIF balance) they initiate the payment on time even if the date fluctuates.  You get into trouble when you try to do auto Bill Pay from the other end.
Message 14 of 24
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I would rather be in charge of paying the bill through my own Bill Pay from my CU account.  I don't like other entities having the authority to access my account.  As soon as the statement is available I'll go in and pay it, or schedule it well in advance of its due date.  Whether you do it one way or the other is a small point and based on preference.  The main poinit is bill pay by computer does not relieve you of the responsibility to make sure the bills get paid on time, just like we used to do with regular old mail.  Even paying by computer I always follow up and make sure the accounts get credited a couple of days after the payment is made from my account.  I take nothing for granted.  Goof ups can sometimes occur.   
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:
I would rather be in charge of paying the bill through my own Bill Pay from my CU account.  I don't like other entities having the authority to access my account.  As soon as the statement is available I'll go in and pay it, or schedule it well in advance of its due date.  Whether you do it one way or the other is a small point and based on preference.  The main poinit is bill pay by computer does not relieve you of the responsibility to make sure the bills get paid on time, just like we used to do with regular old mail.  Even paying by computer I always follow up and make sure the accounts get credited a couple of days after the payment is made from my account.  I take nothing for granted.  Goof ups can sometimes occur.   

I agree, I have a list of all my monthlies on a post it.

Each month I log in schedule payment few days before due, then check to be sure money was both deducted and credited.

If I can spend time every few days on this forum I should be able to spend a few minutes being sure my bills are paid

Message Edited by usmc58555 on 05-17-2009 11:44 AM
Message 16 of 24
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

I agree and I never pay a bill less than 2 weeks before it's due. This allows plenty of time to check and make sure it is recorded and if there were to be a glitch I have more than enough time to catch any mistakes. I leave nothing to chance, especially in todays credit climate.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:

And in your case, where there is never a mistake, I would probably agree.  But for those who have an incident or a late, having an auto draft of minimum can save them substantial credit issues down the road.

Those who are organized and bullet proof need no back up.  But for some, this is a good insurance policy.  A reported late is a real problem which may not be resolved anytime soon.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for everyone's input, but does anyone have any experience with the BOA partially secured card? I'm sure there's someone out there who has accidentally paid this card late and can tell me if it still graduated to unsecured on schedule?

Message 19 of 24
score_building
Senior Contributor

i am fairly sure i've seen posts saying a late pay on a partially secured boa delayed the date of graduation.  YMMV.  perhaps someone who this happened to will chime in.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.