Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh, the shame - Walmart Denied

tag
jdogi
Contributor

Oh, the shame - Walmart Denied

Wow, what the heck just happened?.  In my mind, there really wasn't any question.  I would be approved for the Walmart Discover.  I was just wondering what my CL was going to be.  If it wasn't $3000+, I probably would have just eaten the INQ and not activated, or tried to recon higher limit before agreeing.  Though I really wanted the monthly TU Fico scores. 

Over the past 6 months, I was approved for Amex Zync (Aug, NPSL), Citi Forward ($6500, Sept), Amex BCP (Oct, $6k - CLI to $10k 2 weeks ago) .  My TU report, which GE/Walmart pulled, has not a single blemish, Fico 751 (2/9), AAoA 5 years, util 21%.  3 INQ in last year (2 are mortgage - should count as 1).

Since both of the Amex cards were dated to the 90s, the Citi is my only "new" CC.  It's my only account less than 1 yr old.

Imagine my surprise when she said "declined".  Really?  What am I missing here?  Not even a crappy Walmart store card?

I can't wait to see the reasons they give me.  Depending on the reasons, I'll might recon, or maybe I'll just fire GE, I don't have any use for those other accounts.

So, what's the story?  Has my ego gotten too big for my credit score?  Should I not be shocked?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
anybodii
New Contributor

Re: Oh, the shame - Walmart Denied

Are you sure it was denied? They may have just needed more information for one reason or another. Call them and check, and if you were denied recon them with a backdoor number.

Message 2 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@jdogi wrote:

Wow, what the heck just happened?.  In my mind, there really wasn't any question.  I would be approved for the Walmart Discover.  I was just wondering what my CL was going to be.  If it wasn't $3000+, I probably would have just eaten the INQ and not activated, or tried to recon higher limit before agreeing.  Though I really wanted the monthly TU Fico scores. 

Over the past 6 months, I was approved for Amex Zync (Aug, NPSL), Citi Forward ($6500, Sept), Amex BCP (Oct, $6k - CLI to $10k 2 weeks ago) .  My TU report, which GE/Walmart pulled, has not a single blemish, Fico 751 (2/9), AAoA 5 years, util 21%.  3 INQ in last year (2 are mortgage - should count as 1).

Since both of the Amex cards were dated to the 90s, the Citi is my only "new" CC.  It's my only account less than 1 yr old.

Imagine my surprise when she said "declined".  Really?  What am I missing here?  Not even a crappy Walmart store card?

I can't wait to see the reasons they give me.  Depending on the reasons, I'll might recon, or maybe I'll just fire GE, I don't have any use for those other accounts.

So, what's the story?  Has my ego gotten too big for my credit score?  Should I not be shocked?

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. That is odd. Your FICO is good. Your util may be a little high -- I try to have mine under 9% if I'm going to app or do a CLI request. Your Amex CLI probably isn't reporting yet, but that shouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering if you have seen your CR. Maybe there is something on there you're not aware of. Since you've been denied credit, you can go to TU's site and get your CR for free. That's the first thing I would do -- just to be sure your CR really is clean and your Amexes are reporting with the backdating.

Beyond that, you will just have to wait and see what the letter says. IME and from what I've read here, recon w/GE/Walmart isn't generally very successful. But it can't hurt after you have a better picture of what's going on.

Also, some people claim that they have been approved in the store and not online. I only apped in the store, because I wanted the best chance for approval -- just in case there was any truth to it. Of course it would be another HP for you and no guarantees, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 21
spengbab
Regular Contributor

My util is 28% (but my CL is low on my cards so thats why it appears high) but Chase and Discover approved me... I would recon. Hey don't let that INQ go to waste right? Smiley Happy

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 4 of 21
jdogi
Contributor

anybodii, I actually called to check the status (app'd a few days ago) and they made me answer the identity questions.  that's when she came back with "denied" or maybe she said "declined". :-(

bichonmom, I have my full MyFico from the 9th and it's totally clear and I check all three reports (way too often) using USAA's service, so I know there are no surprises and I know that my increased CLI from AMEX was already in TU.  It's a good point though, because that means my util was actually only 18% at thet time of their pull.

Funny thing is, I actually have a posted, (not yet reported), payment that brings my util down below 10%.  It should be reporting in ~10 days.  It's all on a single card at 0%, so I've been paying it off a bit liesurely.  I really didn't think to wait for that payment to report as I didn't expect that it would be a factor, expecting the slam dunk as I was..

I'll probably recon and go "scorched earth" on them.  If they insist on denying me and wasting that HP, I'll probably just make them close those other accounts that I don't really need.  Probably stupid, but I'm stubborn like that and I'll gladly send a message even though nobody will hear or listen to it.  

I'll show them.  Who do they think they are!?! Smiley Wink

I'll let you know what they say.  Maybe they found some skeleton i forgot I had buried in my closet.  Lol.

Thanks everybody.

-jdogi

Suffering my Icarus moment

Message 5 of 21
anybodii
New Contributor

I don't blame you. You have great scores, there's no reason why they should deny you. At the very least offer that crappy $500 they seem to love.

Can't be too mad though, its fair to say the banks have no idea what they're doing or how to handle their own money... or let me rephrase that.. The federal government's money aka ours..

Message 6 of 21
jdogi
Contributor

@anybodii wrote:

I don't blame you. You have great scores, there's no reason why they should deny you. At the very least offer that crappy $500 they seem to love.

Can't be too mad though, its fair to say the banks have no idea what they're doing or how to handle their own money... or let me rephrase that.. The federal government's money aka ours..

You know, when you put it like that, it all makes sense!  I can see it now.  A CSR sitting there processing applications using a magic eight ball.

CSR: Sir, it says "Ask again later"

Me: OK, I'm asking again...and it is now later

CSR: Sir, now it says "Signs point to yes", but that's just not good enough.

Me: please shake it just one more time.

CSR: I'm very sorry sir, "Outlook not so good", you'll get something in the mail explaining why

Me: Arrrggghhh!

Me: How about a mortgage?  I would like to buy a $750k home

CSR: What is your income?

Me: $80k

CSR: Can you verify that income? How much will you be puting down?

Me: No, it's an all cash business an I never pay taxes.  I want zero down.

CSR: Ok, let's give this bad boy a a shake <shakes the ball again>

CSR: Congratulation sir, "it is decidedly so"  Youre approved for a quarter million dollar mortgage with zero down.  Your Aunt Fannie Mae will gladly back that note for you (err, eeh, I mean she'll back it for us)

OK, I must be getting tired.  Time to go.

Message 7 of 21
anybodii
New Contributor

haha that would explain a lot of things

Message 8 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jdogi wrote:

More than likely they want to verify your Identity. Call in today.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 21
frogfan12
Established Contributor

The way I see it is you're better off not having a card if a company denies you and they have no good reason to do so. Back in 2006 I applied for a Discover card (why, I have no idea) but I was approved (or so I thought) and everything over the phone yet I never received a card. I took that as a sign that I didn't need a Discover. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.