Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, Barclay is weird

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ok, Barclay is weird

I imagine removing those questions would be difficult, since you'd need to separate yourself from your ex with each background reporting company, and there are a lot out there.

Message 11 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing that gets me, is that as consumers we have to use information that was obviously never verified in the first place to verify ourselves. Or maybe I just don't know myself very well...hmm...
Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I had no verification on opening the account ha
Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The thing that gets me, is that as consumers we have to use information that was obviously never verified in the first place to verify ourselves. Or maybe I just don't know myself very well...hmm...

Exactly! Very frustrating Smiley Mad

Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is true. There's no oversight or consequences to background check companies, which makes it difficult to correct inaccurate information.

Message 15 of 38
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Yeah.  I once had them ask me if I ever lived at a certain address...answer NO, wrong.  Turns out my ex husband lived there after we were divorced.  

OP- the questions are unreasonable.  They should go by CR and not some random public record search website information.  Appears I'm joined at the hip with my ex husband for the rest of my life Smiley Tongue

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 16 of 38
elim
Senior Contributor

Let them know your card was damaged and won't swipe... Chip card will be on it's way. No questions asked.

Message 17 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kidcat wrote:

Yeah.  I once had them ask me if I ever lived at a certain address...answer NO, wrong.  Turns out my ex husband lived there after we were divorced.  

OP- the questions are unreasonable.  They should go by CR and not some random public record search website information.  Appears I'm joined at the hip with my ex husband for the rest of my life Smiley Tongue

Even basing the questions on a credit report could have problems. For instance, what I thought at the time was a debit card is reported by at least 2 bureaus as a closed bank credit card that had a $7k limit. If someone had asked about the first credit card I got, I would assume they were talking about the Chase Amazon card and I could be marked "wrong" by that measure. Plus, my address is not correct in all my credit reports.

Message 18 of 38
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. It's so frustrating.

Plus even for correct information, it doesn't mean the person is going to remember it. I pride myself on having an excellent memory, but there are some things that just don't stick because they were never interesting or important to me in the first place. Make, model, and year of past vehicles is a great example. I can barely remember the model of my current vehicle and never know the year without checking. I don't stand a chance at guessing the model and year of past vehicles. I know I'm a bit unusual in this regard, but cars just aren't very interesting to me and I seldom drive. I'm just not sitting around thinking about my car or its year and model. LOL, so if they ask that as a security question, it's actually more suspicious if I (or the person pretending to be me) answers correctly immediately. Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I know it's public data as I deal with lexis nexis almost daily but they don't use them. And most people's "street they grew up on" isn't in public data

That's a password request question.  Want to know my first pet's name, as well?

Now I want to go check, I think my B&N MC might be the ONLY non-chip card I have at this point.

It could be a disaster if they asked me a question that they had the incorrect answer to.  I'd be arguing that I should know, as it was MY first job, etc. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.