Ok To Ask For Costco AMEX CLI?

tag
GovtGal
Valued Member

Ok To Ask For Costco AMEX CLI?

I just pulled my FICO scores today and they are as follows:

Transunion 792

Equifax 749

What's hurting my score is that my utilization is 45%.  This is due, in large part, to my recent cancellation of two Chase credit cards (I grew tired of their games).

I've had my Costco AMEX for over one year and I'd like to ask for a CLI.  I'm currently sitting at $2,000.  Should I go for it or should I try to get my utilization down a bit?  I have no other negatives on my report.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Ok To Ask For Costco AMEX CLI?

@GovtGal wrote:

I just pulled my FICO scores today and they are as follows:

Transunion 792

Equifax 749

What's hurting my score is that my utilization is 45%.  This is due, in large part, to my recent cancellation of two Chase credit cards (I grew tired of their games).

I've had my Costco AMEX for over one year and I'd like to ask for a CLI.  I'm currently sitting at $2,000.  Should I go for it or should I try to get my utilization down a bit?  I have no other negatives on my report.

you have nothing to loose, you can ask for up to 6k, I might go 5-5500.

Message 2 of 4
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

You have nothing to lose because the pull is soft, but I'd be surprised if you got more than a small increase, or any at all, with utilization at 45%.

Whether you do it over the phone or the Internet, you will be asked for how much you want your new credit line to be and your household income. Usually, you hear a response in 30-60 seconds.

Also, keep in mind, Amex only allows one CLI every six months. I have a calendar reminder set for 6 months and 1 day to remind me for when I can ask again.

Message 3 of 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

If possible reduce reporting UTI, ideally under 30ish, before initiating the request for best results.  In any case it is a soft pull typically, so good luck.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.