cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, folks... welcome me to the AMEX family!

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, folks... welcome me to the AMEX family!

As I posted in another thread, I received an offer to apply for an Amex Green. I had an Amex back in my (very irresponsible) youth, and 20 years ago it wound up as an unpaid CO. I never expected to be able to get another card with them. But, a couple of posters here pointed out that the backdating would be worth an attempt, and even if I were indeed blacklisted, they would notice this first and not pull my report. So, even though I'm in garden mode, the prospect of 20 years worth of backdating made it worth pulling the trigger. I just did, and I was approved!!!!! Got the "Congratulations" email, and was told that I should have my card in 7-10 days. What a step up from First Premier and Orchard!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

I intend to treat this card like a fragile Faberge egg. I DON'T want to mess this up again. I'm finally at a point in my life where I truly value my credit rating and will make certain to protect it.

Now, with the backdating taken into account, how does this factor into the gardening metaphor? Planting a fully mature oak tree or something???

I feel indescribably lucky! WOO, HOO!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ok, folks... welcome me to the AMEX family!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 2 of 30
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Hopefully it will automatically backdate to your previous account, but if it doesn't you might not want to press it since if I understand you correctly, that account is still an unpaid charge off.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 30
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Hopefully it will automatically backdate to your previous account, but if it doesn't you might not want to press it since if I understand you correctly, that account is still an unpaid charge off.

+1!!

Message 4 of 30
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

Agreed... completely. I'm really hoping for the backdating since my old account popped up on my Experian report this March. I have no idea why, but it's showing as paid/never late. So, I'm crossing my fingers. Even if it doesn't, it's a prime card and I'll gladly take it and treat it very, very well.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 30
daytrade5
Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

Agreed... completely. I'm really hoping for the backdating since my old account popped up on my Experian report this March. I have no idea why, but it's showing as paid/never late. So, I'm crossing my fingers. Even if it doesn't, it's a prime card and I'll gladly take it and treat it very, very well.

Here it comes........ Welcome to the Amex family! Smiley Happy Congrats!

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know you've learned from your past.

That will make this card just that much sweeter for you!

Congratulations!

Message 7 of 30
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

GRATS!!! (entirely envious, btw)

One question;

While you DID have multiple negative items on your credit, NONE of them included a BK, right?

And the negaitve items you've been removing for past several months. 

The reason I ask is for guidance as my scores, as well as many others, are similar to yours but we have BKs on our CR.

Message 8 of 30
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Hopelives2 wrote:

GRATS!!! (entirely envious, btw)

One question;

While you DID have multiple negative items on your credit, NONE of them included a BK, right?

And the negaitve items you've been removing for past several months. 

The reason I ask is for guidance as my scores, as well as many others, are similar to yours but we have BKs on our CR.

I've never had a BK, ever. Any remaining baddies are 6 - 7 years old and are ready to age off.

Frankly, I'm still in shock. I wasn't really expecting an approval, but I wanted to see once and for all if I was on the blacklist. I heard that if I was, I wouldn't even incur an inquiry, so there wasn't much to lose.

Message 9 of 30
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

I've been following your pathway to great credit and my BK is the one thing that distinguishes us:

my score is higher but I have a bk

Me thinketh AMEX will not approve me for another 9 years or so Smiley Sad

Grats again!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.