cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok to dispute a CC balance to get it reported sooner than the normal reporting date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok to dispute a CC balance to get it reported sooner than the normal reporting date?

I just paid off all my Credit Cards and was thinking about doing a dispute as balance incorrect so that it could be reported with the new $0 balance instead of waiting till end of month for the update. Is this OK to do?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ok to dispute a CC balance to get it reported sooner than the normal reporting date?

I wouldn't...

Besides which they can take up to 45 days to respond to a dispute which is going to be longer than it would be until your balance would update anyway.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ok to dispute a CC balance to get it reported sooner than the normal reporting date?

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't...

Besides which they can take up to 45 days to respond to a dispute which is going to be longer than it would be until your balance would update anyway.

Correct!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have disputed balances before on occassion.  Usually it updates within a few days on many CC's, but it has taken longer on some

I've never had an online balance dispute take 45 days.  Usually I have had it take up to 2 weeks with one exception. 

But, there is no guarantee.

Message 4 of 9
emoticon
Valued Member

You can dispute, but I've used another method.  Request a CLI (soft pull only) and they report the card limit and balance right away.  BOA does that, Discover did it, Citi did it.  You can try that.
*US Bank Signature Visa $25,000; *Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Signature $20,000; *BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX $17,500; *Citi Platinum Select MC $13,000; *Discover More $12,000; *PenFed Visa Gold $10,000; *Home Depot $2,200
Message 5 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Why do you want to do this?  Do you have a real need to have it updated before next month, or are you just impatient to see the results?  If it is the latter I think you are crazy to do it.  Cool your jets and let it work in its normal cycle.  The less intervention you do, especially disputing things, the better.  We spend too much time micromanaging these FICO scores, imo. 
Message Edited by Watchmann on 06-07-2009 08:05 AM
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

CyndibemyLOVE wrote:
I just paid off all my Credit Cards and was thinking about doing a dispute as balance incorrect so that it could be reported with the new $0 balance instead of waiting till end of month for the update. Is this OK to do?

The balance showing isn't incorrect. It's the balance as of the last update. Claiming that it is incorrect would be unethical IMO.

If the old balance still displays when they update again, or if they don't update within 4-5 days after they normally do, then it would be appropriate to dispute.

Disputes need to be handled with care. At a minimum, you're likely to to labeled by the bureaus as a "frivolous disputer", and then good luck when you need to make a legitimate dispute.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
tiger67
Regular Contributor

There is another option depending on who the lender is. You can call and request a "mid cycle update" to the credit reporting agencies. Some do, some don't. Speaking from experience, Capitol One and HSBC won't, but Citi will.

Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I disputed balance once with an old citi card and the account got deleted off my reports and NEVER came back for the 5 years I had the account. I would not recommend disputing something trying to beat the system
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.