Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card nostalgia & memories

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This one is just for fun

and yes, I'm bored right now.  Raining and had outdoor projects planned.  Where do I find myself....here for some reason.....or no reason at all Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 19
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Another oldie but goodie are the circulars that were published containing a hotlist of card numbers that were not to be accepted. You had to call in if the card number was in the book. I can't remember what the threshold was for calling in for an approval, but it was pretty low. I remember those lists from 1970/71. I worked in a pharmacy and later a liquor store both of which still had house accounts for their customers. My neighborhood was fairly afluent - there was a good mix of both types of accounts. These days you can't even run a tab in your local!

Message 13 of 19
pattycake
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This one is just for fun

and yes, I'm bored right now.  Raining and had outdoor projects planned.  Where do I find myself....here for some reason.....or no reason at all Smiley Very Happy

NICE!!!!

You should come here to Tempe, Arizona!  It's sunny and 107.  I think my a/c is going absolutely nuts right now. 

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 14 of 19
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

My first American Express card was c. 1977/78. It was a gold card and looked pretty much like today's model.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, had my first cc's in the 80's.  I could spend up to $50 on my Visa and no call in.  Above $50 required approval....a 6 digit code.

I knew a fellow who went crazy Christmas 1988.  He lost his job and he was going through a divorce.  He decided to live it up that holiday.  He spent over $18,000 in 2 days going to Kmarts buying stuff $$49.99 or less.

I don't know what happened to him....but I just couldn't believe what he was doing!

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pattycake wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This one is just for fun

NICE!!!!

You should come here to Tempe, Arizona!  It's sunny and 107.  I think my a/c is going absolutely nuts right now. 

Patty - I said I had outside projects planned, and heat stroke wasn't one of them Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 19
pattycake
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This one is just for fun

NICE!!!!

Patty - I said I had outside projects planned, and heat stroke wasn't one of them Smiley Very Happy

You'd melt before you could stroke, and they'd just find a goopy spot on the lawn under a pile of rumpled clothes...Smiley Indifferent

I had my first card in the 1980s, but we were using terminals to verify at that time (I worked at a restaurant in a hotel).  That was when merchants couldn't tell the difference between a debit or credit card at the time, and instant CC approvals were often granted with a Visa debit.  

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, in the beginning when terminal authorizations came out, it sorta took a while before they got everywhere.  Some businesses stuck with the old manual methods for quite a long while.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.