Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Navy card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Navy card

So I have a quick question. I use to work at Old navy and decided to apply for an Old navy card. I got approved with a really low limit ( I think $200). Within about a month my limit had gone up to about $400. I started using it more (paying it off in full every month) but I was seeing myself getting into trouble and decided to stop using it. I haven't used it in about a year. I recently got a copy of my credit report and that card is still open. I thought it would be closed by now just becasue when I worked at Old Navy they would close accounts that hadn't been used between 6 months to 1 year. I'm just wondering if I should close it myself or leave it open and hopefully eventually Old Navy/GE will close it for me. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Old Navy card

Leave it open.   It's aging and you are still getting the Util listed from it.  Even if they do close it it will stay on as a good account for 10 years and add to you AAoA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
apandabear
Regular Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Leave it open.   It's aging and you are still getting the Util listed from it.  Even if they do close it it will stay on as a good account for 10 years and add to you AAoA.

+1

Agree 100%

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 3 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

Go there and buy a $10 t shirt to keep the account active.

No AF = keep it open but every 4 months or so buy something there.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cut up the card haha so I would have to request a new card but I think I will do that. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could probably get a decent CLI from it also. (GE is almost always a SP to my knowledge) Like the others said, SD it and use it once every 4 months

Message 6 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Get a CLI and NEVER charge it up again. What Ive done with a lot of my GE cards is charge s'thing on them that's super cheap... Or I'll spend 50-100 so that even if I onlu make the min, it's paid off in time for a CLI. Haha
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Keep it open! Buy something cheap every 3 month's or so.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Your ON can upgrade to a Visa. I used my ON very infrequently, but did CLI every 4 mos after reading about it here. It went from $200 CL to $1500 in 1 yr and then on 1 yr anniv, upgraded to $4k visa. Just a thought.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.