Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old US Airways Dividend Miles Companion Pass expires soon (Aviator) + my story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old US Airways Dividend Miles Companion Pass expires soon (Aviator) + my story

So you have to book your companion pass before the end of September and use it by Dec 31st. Just FYI

So I called up the other day to see if I could put my AA GCs (from Ritz) towards the regular fare and pay the rest with my Aviator card. They said no. Today I called up and booked my flight and didn't even ask and just said I'm using my GCs (4x$75) and the rest on my Aviator and the girl did it no problem. So I got two flights for $484.40-$300=$184.40 and my friend is giving me $100 for the companion pass. And I'm finally cashing in my Ritz 140K + Marriott 70k points for 7 nights in Times Square NYC. And all I'm paying is $84 bucks. The hotel is $2900 for the 7 days and it's 240k points. I'm so stoked! I feel I definitely got my value out of my cards.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Old US Airways Dividend Miles Companion Pass expires soon (Aviator) + my story

you staying at the marquis?

I'd suggest looking into the essex house. staying in times Square can get old (just a tip)

nice redemption though! I like to hear stuff like this.
Message 2 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Old US Airways Dividend Miles Companion Pass expires soon (Aviator) + my story

Nice job, OP! Redemption is so much fun.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
you staying at the marquis?

I'd suggest looking into the essex house. staying in times Square can get old (just a tip)

nice redemption though! I like to hear stuff like this.

Essex is famous of course but 270k and I only have 240k. Some don't include the taxes/govt fees and this one does. It also has free breakfast which can save me more money. I'm staying at https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycri-residence-inn-new-york-manhattan-times-square/ it has good reviews and I'm excited either way.

Message 4 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

You'll never have to pay any taxes on a Marriott hotel redemption. (at least in the us)

they'll be listed on your reservation but you don't need to pay them.

ah, you're staying at the RI. nice.

and you have a Ritz card, which means gold status. with gold status you get free breakfast at (almost) every Marriott family property by the way. some offer points instead. you can check the list on FT. just a heads up.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
You'll never have to pay any taxes on a Marriott hotel redemption. (at least in the us)

they'll be listed on your reservation but you don't need to pay them.

ah, you're staying at the RI. nice.

and you have a Ritz card, which means gold status. with gold status you get free breakfast at (almost) every Marriott family property by the way. some offer points instead. you can check the list on FT. just a heads up.

Should I stay at a different hotel? I'm going nov 7-14. 

Message 6 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

stay where you want. you can search by category on the Marriott site to determine which hotels you can afford (in points) and there's a FT thread called "Marriott guide to lounges" or something and that will tell you what breakfast/lounge amenities you'll get at those hotels.

I just wouldn't want you to lose out on a full service experience if you can get something better. you could also buy the 30k points you need for the essex house for under $400. I'd just look around. you're a gold elite. the breakfast in an exec lounge or hotel restaurant will always outshine the breakfast from a select service brand.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.