Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Wamu and MBNA credit cards

tag
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Old Wamu and MBNA credit cards

I used to have a Wamu CC that eventually was converted to a Chase Slate and an old MBNA card that was converted to a BOA Cash Rewards. Ever since these cards have had no auto love at all and the Slate is never eligible for a PC to a Freedom whenever I call and ask. Is it typical when a bank takes over another bank that the inherited accounts are not viewed the same as if I had applied to the new bank directly?

What I'm trying to gauge is if it is worth my time, effort, spend, and hard pulls to try to grow these accounts through increased spend or CLI requests, or if I should just apply for something new... The goal is to just increase avail credit.

Has anyone else dealt with this with old Wamu or MBNA cards? Thanks

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Old Wamu and MBNA credit cards

From other users, the old WAMU cc's are not eligible for PC.  I would just apply for another Chase product anyway since they tend to give more on subsequent cc's -as long as the pyt history is good. 

YMMV

Message 2 of 19
Beane
Regular Contributor

My MBNA was switched to a normal BoA card and I received few CLIs after that, but recently I got a 2100K CLI (to 9K total) and a PC a to the Cash Rewards card.  Unfortunately it still has a AF ($59), but also my lowest APR at 14.99% and tied for my highest limit so it is tough to get rid of right now.  All of the BoA pre-qual offers are in the 17.99%-19.99% range right now.

As for the Slate, instead of trying for a CLI which will undoubtedly be a HP, I'd just use that HP for a Freedom app and then transfer the credit line from the slate to freedom.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 3 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

From other users, the old WAMU cc's are not eligible for PC.  I would just apply for another Chase product anyway since they tend to give more on subsequent cc's -as long as the pyt history is good. 

YMMV

+1

Depending on what WaMu product/tier you had, it likely will not PC.  Best to apply for something new, then if approved, you can allocate CLs or combine them.  If it were me (unless you value the old tradeline), I would close the old one and allocate the CL to the new one.  A matter of personal preference I suppose. 

For MBNA, now that FIA is part of BOA, just see what other products are of appeal to you and you can PC what you have to something different if you prefer, like the Balance Rewards, Travel Rewards, or even any of the other Cash Reward Alumni or Special Causes CCs.  Also, for BOA, auto-CLIs are infrequent.  Your best best is to request a CLI, which can result in most instances as a HP.

Message 4 of 19
aloush11
Regular Contributor

HAve you tried contacting the EO? Im sure they can give you some more insight. I like the idea of applying and transferring the limit. 

Message 5 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@aloush11 wrote:

HAve you tried contacting the EO? Im sure they can give you some more insight. I like the idea of applying and transferring the limit. 

All the EO would verify is that the card is not elegible for PC.  Old WaMu accounts do not have the similar flexibility for PC or changes based on how those accounts were coded prior to the WaMu acquisition.  The OP will have a better change applying for Freedom (or another Chase CC of choice) and getting better results (based on creditworthiness of course) than to spin his wheels with an older account that will yield no results.

Message 6 of 19
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Appreciate the input. I was not really interested in the Freedom as much as I figured that it would be the only thing that a Slate could PC to... I definitely want to keep both TL's open as they both have 8k+ credit lines and are among my two oldest accounts. I'll keep them active to prevent CLD or closure but I'll put my efforts into other areas to increase available credit.
Message 7 of 19
noobody
Established Contributor

I had old wamu card with BAD credit, 2K credit line and 2...

I had old wamu card with BAD credit, 2K credit line and 29.99 APR, I was able to switch to chase perfect card when they take over early 2009, basically I was able to pick and choose ANY card I want at that time.

Perfect card program was discontinued, I was convert to some points card at the end of 2012, called right way to change from perfect VISA to a freedom MC, no question asked.

Now I have 2 feeedom card, so I can double the quarterly CAP, and I was able to move credit line in and out without problem

still 29.99 APR but since I always PIF, it does not bother me at all

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I had old wamu card with BAD credit, 2K credit line and 2...

Interesting thread. I am an old Providian to WAMU to Chase customer that was brought in as a Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Card. Started with the 4185 bin number and nothing could be done. January 2013 I applied through the mastercard site and got a brand new Chase Freedom Rewards Mastercard with 12.99% apr (best rate at the time) and a high CL which moved me into the real credit card world. I did close the Chase Flexible Rewards Visa as that was not going anywhere. Had an MBNA Platinum Master Card with a $57.5K CL but BK'd. When BOA took it over they parked me in the backlot. Even though my record is clean for twelve years they did not forget (note the BK was on MBNA America). Memories are long.
Message 9 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I had old wamu card with BAD credit, 2K credit line and 2...

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting thread. I am an old Providian to WAMU to Chase customer that was brought in as a Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Card. Started with the 4185 bin number and nothing could be done. January 2013 I applied through the mastercard site and got a brand new Chase Freedom Rewards Mastercard with 12.99% apr (best rate at the time) and a high CL which moved me into the real credit card world. I did close the Chase Flexible Rewards Visa as that was not going anywhere. Had an MBNA Platinum Master Card with a $57.5K CL but BK'd. When BOA took it over they parked me in the backlot. Even though my record is clean for twelve years they did not forget (note the BK was on MBNA America). Memories are long.

Yes, memories are long especially since MBNA became FIA and was absorbed by BOA.  So, although IIB, they won't forget on such a sizeable chunk of losses.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.