cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old credit card, $0 balance, negative indicators, keep open or close?

tag
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Old credit card, $0 balance, negative indicators, keep open or close?

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help guys, ill go ahead and keep the account open. Now if only I can get Cap1 to do a credit limit increase without a hard pull or at least upgrade to a card with rewards. They have not been willing to do either one of those over the phone.

I suggest you try using the card for few months, and then ask.   

Message 11 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help guys, ill go ahead and keep the account open. Now if only I can get Cap1 to do a credit limit increase without a hard pull or at least upgrade to a card with rewards. They have not been willing to do either one of those over the phone.

I suggest you try using the card for few months, and then ask.   

Good advice! Show them that you need a credit limit increase! Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm planning to send an email to the CEO to inquire about the CLI. I tried researching this but did not see much information. Should the card number be included in this email. Would it be safe to include the card number in this email or should we just request a callback to discuss the situation?

Message 13 of 16
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

Never put your credit card information in an email. Email is VERY insecure, and can be read at many places, not just by whom you're sending it to.

Your name and a phone number is more than enough for them to find you. Do NOT put your SSN, DOB or anything else in an email.

Message 14 of 16
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone, I have a Cap1 credit card that I got when I was16 years old about 7 years ago. Clearly it is the account with the longest history on my credit report. However being young and stupid I missed several payments early on. I have since then paid off the card and have not used it since. It remains at a $500 credit limit and offers absolutely no benefits or rewards. However it also does not have an annual fee. The account is showing up with negative indicators on my credit report and affecting my score. Would closing the account remove these negative indicators? Or would I be better keeping the accont open due to its long history and $0 balance? Thank you in advance.

Really?  I did not know that a minor could obtain a credit card in their own name?  Are you sure you aren't just an AU on this card?  If you're an AU, you could have yourself removed from the account and that would remove all negative history associated with the tradeline.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 15 of 16
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

7 years ago was a different time...

2007 through now is the result.

OP is likely wholly responsible for the account and cannot get the negatives removed without time's help.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.