Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On A Roll But Don't Want To Get Carried Away

tag
SanityKills
New Contributor

On A Roll But Don't Want To Get Carried Away

I just recently had a collections fall of my report and it seems to have made a world of difference, even though it was a small one several years ago.  I had applied for a Barclaycard last March and was denied.  Upon the purchase of a Macbook Pro in late December 2011, I decided what the heck and applied again to see if I'd by some miracle qualify.  Well I did, with a limit of $1300.

As a result I pulled my FICO & reports and saw that the collections had come off.  So I put on my calendar to apply for a Chase Freedom card in June (six months after my Barclaycard approval).  After thinking about it, I couldn't resist and decide not to waste time and see if I would qualify for a Chase Freedom card... and I did.

My ultimate goal is to reach the "Big 3"--a Chase Freedom, a Citi Platinum Select and potentially a Capital One card.

Now that I'm on a roll, should I apply for a Citi card or will I risk Chase and/or Barclaycard canceling my accounts in the spirit of my seeking too much new credit?  I don't want to wait an entire year to reach my goal if I don't have to but I don't want to rain on my progress either.

Last March I went crazy--perhaps with too new of credit (a year's worth at the time) and the cards I qualified for (GEMB) all got yanked after they reviewed my accounts and saw something in the neighborhood of 18 inquiries within days of each other.  They were opened for a few weeks before being closed (in good standing). The reason I say this is to note that it appears that six months is the "fall-off" time before creditors stop caring about your "recent inquries".

CreditKarma TU: 680 | Credit.com EX: 668 | Equifax EQ: 671 | Credit Sesame Simulated FICO: 736
Citi Platinum Select: ($6900), Chase Freedom ($3500), Amex BCE ($5000), Amex CLEAR ($6000), Barclaycard Ring ($2800), Barclay Rewards MC ($2500), CareCredit ($4100), Kohls ($1000) | UTL: 3.14%
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: On A Roll But Don't Want To Get Carried Away

@SanityKills wrote:

I just recently had a collections fall of my report and it seems to have made a world of difference, even though it was a small one several years ago.  I had applied for a Barclaycard last March and was denied.  Upon the purchase of a Macbook Pro in late December 2011, I decided what the heck and applied again to see if I'd by some miracle qualify.  Well I did, with a limit of $1300.

As a result I pulled my FICO & reports and saw that the collections had come off.  So I put on my calendar to apply for a Chase Freedom card in June (six months after my Barclaycard approval).  After thinking about it, I couldn't resist and decide not to waste time and see if I would qualify for a Chase Freedom card... and I did.

My ultimate goal is to reach the "Big 3"--a Chase Freedom, a Citi Platinum Select & and potentially a Capital One card.

Now that I'm on a roll, should I apply for a Citi card or will I risk Chase and/or Barclaycard canceling my accounts in the spirit of my seeking too much new credit?  I don't want to wait an entire year to reach my goal if I don't have to but I don't want to rain on my progress either.

Last March I went crazy--perhaps with to new of credit (a year's worth at the time) and the cards I qualified for (GEMB) all got yanked after they reviewed my accounts and saw something in the neighborhood of 18 inquiries within days of each other.  They were opened for a few weeks before being closed (in good standing). The reason I say this is to note that it appears that six months is the "fall-off" time before creditors stop caring about your "recent inquries".

Wait it out, don't rock the boat with Barclays.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
CS800
Super Contributor

Stay away from the apps now. Let them age.

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SanityKills wrote:

My ultimate goal is to reach the "Big 3"--a Chase Freedom, a Citi Platinum Select and potentially a Capital One card.

Nein, never again will you need or want a Capital One card unless they re-align their business practices: you already have a solid prime card in the Freedom, why go backwards chasing credit from sub-standard lenders?

Nice re: Freedom approval though.  Congrats.

        
Message 4 of 6
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Stay away from the apps now. Let them age.

Sounds like some great advice.Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SanityKills wrote:

Nein, never again will you need or want a Capital One card unless they re-align their business practices: you already have a solid prime card in the Freedom, why go backwards chasing credit from sub-standard lenders?

Nice re: Freedom approval though.  Congrats.

Why not some of Cap1's prime cards?? (Venture, Green)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.