cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? On New Huntington Approval (or any card really)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

? On New Huntington Approval (or any card really)

Anyone ever have Huntington require you take your DL to the local branch before they let you use your credit card?

I got a call today and they won't tell me why-all they say is we need to make sure you are who you say-and they would not let me fax or email a copy. I need to take it to the bank. Until then my new card is frozen.

They assured me the card is still approved and it is showing in my accounts online with the 11k "available" -but this has never happened to me. I don't have a Fraud Alert so not sure what's going on.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ? On New Huntington Approval (or any card really)

I have been noticing in the past year, the banks have been asking more questions and are picker in verifing your identity. I have applied for Discover last summer and I had to call before I was able to activate the account. I applied for the Huntingon credit card ealier this month. I applied at the branch and they asked for my drivers licence and they entered it in the computer. I had a feeling if I did it online I would run into a situation like yours and would have to go the branch anyways.

Fraud must be getting really bad as everything is becoming more strict. At this rate I would not be surpised if they start asking for paystabs, verify employment and require two forms of id before you can get a credit card. I hope it does not happen, but it feels like we are going in that direction.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mind they are being more safe with this stuff but I find it odd that I have to drive 45 min to a branch to show my ID. Why can't I fax or email it?
If it wasn't my highest SL ever I would not bother.
Message 3 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You have to remember that relative to the population, most of us have an excessive amount of inquiries and new accounts. Because of this, we tend to get tighter scrutiny on applications. As much as it can be a PITA, it's for your protection ultimately.

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Perhaps they want to physically see that you match your id. I guess they figure anyone can fax or email someones id so this is probably just taking your security one step furtherSmiley Happy.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was also strange they called on a Sunday, but I knew it wasn't fraud because they told me to go to the branch.
I'm happy they are cautious-I'm just very thankful I have a branch that isn't 4 hours away because this is my best SL and I am so excited for this card. It would suck if I had to drive all day or cancel the card.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally went it today-it was a pain to get there. The only branch is on a street you can't park on-so it is 45 min away. Then I had to park and walk 20 min in the freezing cold...

But......

I'd happily do it again to get this SL. It was easy and took 2 min. Just showed my ID and they unlocked my accounts. Didn't know this but my checking and savings were locked too. Some stupid Patriot Act issue according to the manager.

It's done. All my accounts are open and have been used now. Very happy.
Message 7 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thats awesome DJ!. Sorry about that commute. I just pictured you walking 20 minutes in the cold, Smiley Sad , and ill bet that 20 minute walk back felt alot warmerSmiley Happy The price you pay for creditSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 10
peghede
Valued Contributor

You should have ask for CLI once in the bank.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol AJC-So true. Was much happier and not nearly as cold on the way back to the car. Haha.

Peghede-I asked on the phone and was told I needed to wait at least 30 days if I didn't want a HP.
They just changed their CLI policy to soft pulls but the exception is if you request one 30 days or less after your last one (or approval)

So I have it on my iCal-I will be hurting that baby up . It already my highest SL card so I'm loving them so far. (FYI the checking 5 or 25 are not bad products either-and the extras like 24 hour grace on overdrafts, bonus cash back on top of your 3% and 1%.....and free checks are nice little bonuses)

Careful Discover-I'm crushing on someone else.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.