cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On scale 1-10 rate my credit card lineup?

tag
gmason
Contributor

Re: On scale 1-10 rate my credit card lineup?

@Anonymous wrote:

@

Chase (because of Providian I think) was included in BK7.

Amex was not, so maybe they would have approved me for a revolver from the beginning.

Despite many people saying that underwriting is same for PRG and Green, I still have read many stories of Green being the first door to open at Amex. I would have much preferred the PRG but Green worked for me. When I got in with Amex, it was on the first try with Amex, so no idea if hitting them and getting declined is a negative on future attempts.

Message 21 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to know what does the members here think about my credit lineup? Scale 1-10. If something needs to improve suggestions are welcomed.

You need to rate you own lineup.  There isn't a single standard of measure.  The rating of your lineup all depends on how well it suits you -- not how it fits some artbitrary notion of "ideal".

If you want feedback then you need to provide details on your specific needs/wants in order for us to compare your lineup to those.

@Anonymous wrote:

I been on these forums alot these days that would be the biggest reason.

Again, you have to use your own criteria and not those of others.  Selecting cards isn't a matter of keeping up with the Joneses.  There's always a danger in assessing your own situation for any topic (not just credit) relying solely on comparisons to others.  Keep in mind that there will always be those with more of X (and those with less of X).  It's what suits you and your specific situation that is relevant.

@Anonymous wrote:

That makes me feel I should take what I can get. Make me feel better LOL. My monthly spend is still kind of low. Mostly gas, food, and department store shopping.

Your call to make if that's a justified reason for you but again, there's always "more".  Try running the numbers for your spend to see whether you'd benefit from rewards on more cards and factor that into your decision.  You have to determine the strategy you want to use.  Some are willing to jump through various hoops to maximize rewards.  Some want just a few cards and simplicity.  It's not a one-size-fits-all matter.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gmason wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed Chapter 7 BK back in 06/2007.  Just wanted to know what does the members here think about my credit lineup? Scale 1-10. If something needs to improve suggestions are welcomed.

@Anonymous, I filed BK7 in 08/2005 and Chase had bought out something that was included in the BK, so they were tough. But after 3 recon phone calls, they approved a Freedom for $2500 back in April 2013 so < 8 years out of BK7. As for Amex, they gave me a green card in April 2013, which then let me soft pull to try for a BCP. I wish I had tried for PRG, but was so happy to be in the door at amex.

So, I think Chase has the best cards. I would try calling multiple times for recon and just ask to be given a chance. With Chase, I applied for IHG last October for my second Chase card, had to call in, and they immediately gave me the card. I'll get a CSP later this year when I'm ready and have spend ready.

As for Amex, I think that a charge card is the way to get in and then you can soft pull to test for revolvers. And since getting in with Amex, they have been very generous for CLIs, etc. The EDP is now my main card with all family members contributing MR points. Also, for the EDP, additional users seem to always be included in the 30 transactions per month, so I hit that easily.

I tried to get Amex on 03/29 instantly declined. I called over 5 times to recon the Chase app. When I called first time they said decline was due to BK. When I explain my BK is almost 8 years old then they come up with different lame excuses. Might not be lame for them since I burned them LOL but they should not change their declined reason.

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 11.37.29 PM.png

I'm thinking you should stop app'ng for the BCE, lol. 

I can understand trying in November and December, but why two times in the same month? 

Since no pull is involved.

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed Chapter 7 BK back in 06/2007.  Just wanted to know what does the members here think about my credit lineup? Scale 1-10. If something needs to improve suggestions are welcomed.

I'm going with a 7. You have some very good cards there, but also some cards that I don't see the need for. There are also some that you might think about adding. If you've burned Chase and Amex, what about Discover? IT might fill a need for you. 

However, it is by no means a bad lineup of cards. You have some top-notch cards there and should be proud of the lineup. If you think that your needs are met, then it is a great lineup and you're set. 

Discover is not friendly with me. They approved me one for $500. I kept it for a while they won't budge.

Message 24 of 27
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

since you've bounced back from a Chap 7 in 07', I'd give you a 10 on your lineup! Smiley Wink

P.S. At the end of the day its not about what you have, but what you learn do with it!

Message 25 of 27
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 26 of 27
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

You have 6 cards. 6 is the ultimate, perfect number of cards. You've done well.Cat Happy

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.