cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the fence about Cabela's...Keep or Close?

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: On the fence about Cabela's...Keep or Close?

@Anonymous wrote:
If the relationship isn't making you happy anymore just end it.........

You have great cards and have rebuilt nicely. Honestly, you probably don't need that CL right now, no guarantee it will grow, do you want future lenders to see such a low limit? Even if you shop there, are you spending enough to justify the rewards or do you have another card (or two) that will give you just as good or better benefits?

Personally after hearing your story, I would close the card after their investigation is complete. I wouldn't trust their customer service to get any better.

POINT!

It's been argued before that it doesn't matter but in my experience so far it DOES! when going forward. Maybe if your profile is complete enough for you it's A-OK if you pull a SCT here and there with 5-$700 but IMHO as long as you are still in building or rebuilding it can help if you can raise those overall averages.

I closed 2 such low limit cards, Good Sams Visa some months ago days after approval & most recently BP Visa at 4 months (even after recent CLI) due to that plus outrageous APR Rates which is exactly what i will explain if or when asked by a future Credit Analyst. Plus i believe it also helps in some automated application processes but have no real stats to back that up. Only a hunch Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You have great cards and have rebuilt nicely. Honestly, you probably don't need that CL right now, no guarantee it will grow, do you want future lenders to see such a low limit? Even if you shop there, are you spending enough to justify the rewards or do you have another card (or two) that will give you just as good or better benefits?

Personally after hearing your story, I would close the card after their investigation is complete. I wouldn't trust their customer service to get any better.

Thanks ksb! Yea...I could take or leave it. I mean, the second supervisor bent over backwards for me, but the initial handling of the fraud and my phone call was just unacceptable. As i was checking my other major CC accts online this morning like I do twice a day (am/pm) to make sure everything is kosher, and no pending charges I dont recognize, I kept thinking "this is so nice that I can actually see my "pending" charges". Cabela's doesnt have that on there webiste, which is so weird and not customer friendly at all. 

I dont plan on applying for credit anytime soon, Im in the garden till 2017, so who cares if anyone sees that limit right now in an AR. But...if I decide to keep it, and I havent received any auto's by one yr anniversary of having the card, Ill probably yank it out of my lineup. Frankly the rewards are only good if you shop at Cebelas a lot, which I dont.  I have better cards to use for everything else. Smiley Wink  I probably just answered my own question right there, LOL..

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close it and shred it with a katana.
Message 13 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks ksb! Yea...I could take or leave it. I mean, the second supervisor bent over backwards for me, but the initial handling of the fraud and my phone call was just unacceptable. As i was checking my other major CC accts online this morning like I do twice a day (am/pm) to make sure everything is kosher, and no pending charges I dont recognize, I kept thinking "this is so nice that I can actually see my "pending" charges". Cabela's doesnt have that on there webiste, which is so weird and not customer friendly at all. 

I dont plan on applying for credit anytime soon, Im in the garden till 2017, so who cares if anyone sees that limit right now in an AR. But...if I decide to keep it, and I havent received any auto's by one yr anniversary of having the card, Ill probably yank it out of my lineup. Frankly the rewards are only good if you shop at Cebelas a lot, which I dont.  I have better cards to use for everything else. Smiley Wink  I probably just answered my own question right there, LOL..

And, there's your answer.

Message 14 of 16
joedtx
Valued Contributor

PIzza sorry things worked out this way, lets look at the big picture shall we? Ultimately  i'm guessing this card really won't serve any major role in your spending and like others have mentioned if the customer no service is this bad now it can't get much better so maybe it's better to learn this early in the relationship that you two aren't really a good match instead of waking up a few years later and realizing WHY didn't I move on? Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe that is one of the strengths of these forum discussions that you can discuss and figure out what you want to do. Lke a sounding board. I do this all the time with other issues in my life. This board is great for financials.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.