Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One More Then Done

tag
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

One More Then Done

Hi All,

I'm looking for one more credit card to add to my profile then I'm done and off to the garden(& other ventures) forever. A pertinent bit about myself.... I'm 41 yrs old. My FICO is 816. I currently have 2 inqs with one to roll off in May. I have 2 Amex (Delta & BCE), 2 Chase (Freedom & Marriott), 1 Citi (Diamond Preferred), 1 C1 (Quicksilver), 1 Bank issued and 1 Home Depot cards. I'm using less than 7% of my available credit and my AAofA is 11 yrs. No baddies, but with an 816 you probably figured that out on your own.

I thought adding discover to my collection but they appear to be too conservative for my last hoorah. Any CL below, say 12.5k, I will consider a wasted effort.

I thought about BofA (probably their AAA card) since I haven't done business with them yet.

I've also thought about CLI one of my current cards with a lower CL. But they are hardly used so there would be no real incentive for the issuer to increase that line.

It will be a bonus if the card is nice looking. I still like that sparkle in a woman's eye when you drop a cool looking card Smiley Wink 

I've done a lot of thinking. Since this is the last go round, I want to get a good one. Also not really interested in inheriting another AF.

It's a lot but I will appreciate all thoughts. Good, bad and otherwise.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
39Xelor
Established Member

Re: One More Then Done

@tmbr10 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking for one more credit card to add to my profile then I'm done and off to the garden(& other ventures) forever. A pertinent bit about myself.... I'm 41 yrs old. My FICO is 816. I currently have 2 inqs with one to roll off in May. I have 2 Amex (Delta & BCE), 2 Chase (Freedom & Marriott), 1 Citi (Diamond Preferred), 1 C1 (Quicksilver), 1 Bank issued and 1 Home Depot cards. I'm using less than 7% of my available credit and my AAofA is 11 yrs. No baddies, but with an 816 you probably figured that out on your own.

I thought adding discover to my collection but they appear to be too conservative for my last hoorah. Any CL below, say 12.5k, I will consider a wasted effort.

I thought about BofA (probably their AAA card) since I haven't done business with them yet.

I've also thought about CLI one of my current cards with a lower CL. But they are hardly used so there would be no real incentive for the issuer to increase that line.

It will be a bonus if the card is nice looking. I still like that sparkle in a woman's eye when you drop a cool looking card Smiley Wink 

I've done a lot of thinking. Since this is the last go round, I want to get a good one. Also not really interested in inheriting another AF.

Not judging you, Just asking.. Why would you consider a line less than 12.5k a waste?

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 2 of 24
myjourney
Super Contributor

Sallie Mae IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 24
colinstu
Regular Contributor

A Discover IT would be my suggestion. You might hit a home run and get a huge CL, or not... they're kind of random. Even then you'll have CLI opportunities with them after using the card. A $5-10k CL still should be impressive, and with some CLI work you should be able to hit that $12.5k+ 

What exactly are you looking for in a card besides a reward and it looking cool? Seems like your current mix of cards is fine. None of BofA's cards look that handsome (both in features and physical looks) imo. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 4 of 24
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

Hi All,

I'd ask for those CLIs. Amex and Cap One are soft pulls for that, so it won't affect your inquiries. I don't  know about Home Depot. I think Citi has started offering soft pull increases every 6 months also. Chase  from what i understand is a HP almost always. It might be worth getting those, letting them report, then applying for another card.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 5 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Why not accept a CL below 12,5K?  Discover IT if you do online shopping and CSP if you want to make better use of your Freedom. Sallie Mae is also very interesting but not sure if limits will suit your needs. Merill+ or Fidelity Amex ? ......would be easier if you could specify what you are looking for..cash back, travel benefits, miles, some hotel cards are nice if you can use them, etc... too many cards on the market ..LOL

Message 6 of 24
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I would certainly go with a Discover IT card.  Your credit limit should get up there pretty high rather quickly if it's not what you want at first.  I personally believe they are a financial institution with extreme momentum that's not just looking to 'keep up' but rather out perform the competition.  Their customer service is phenominal, website interface unsurpassed and the free FICO is probably just the beginning of many perks with the IT card.   

Let's say they give you a 8K limit out of the gate.  At 41, it sounds like you have some time to let the CL grow with you.  I think the "waste" would be not giving them a chance.  YMMV

Edited for grammar

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 7 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

I would certainly go with a Discover IT card.  Your credit limit should get up there pretty high rather quickly if it's not what you want at first.  I personally believe they are a financial institution with extreme momentum that's not just looking to 'keep up' but rather out perform the competition.  Their customer service is phenominal, website interface unsurpassed and the free FICO is probably just the beginning of many perks with the IT card.   

Let's say they give you a 8K limit out of the gate.  At 41, it sounds like you have some time to let the CL grow with you.  I think the "waste" would be not giving them a chance.  YMMV

Edited for grammar

+1  ... I would sign that sentence Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 24
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

Get a gold card IMHO so they won't have to dig far...

Thankfully my girlfriend doesn't care what my cards look like.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 24
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Hi All,

I appreciate the responses. To answer a few questions.... I would consider a line of less than 12.5k a waste because I believe I have built a credit reputation worth at least that. We all work hard at many things in our lives, and by human nature, expect appreciation for that. Credit is no different.

I have not considered Sallie Mae. But will research. Thanks for bringing my attention there. I finished paying of my student loans a few years ago and had a very good relationship with them. I am thankful that hey are still reporting on my CR.

I'm still of the opinion that Discover is too conservative. I should have got with them earlier. I think the rewards I seek have been satisfied. I try to stay exclusively at Marriott (Platinum Elite member) and I only fly Delta. So I have those cards.  BofA has offered me their AAA card which carries some travel points.

I think I'm maxed out at AMEX. My Delta card has a 30K limit. The last time I went the CLI route they wanted my financials so I would rather not go through that again. Felt to much like an audit.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.