Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Payment or Two?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One Payment or Two?

As of this month I will have all my cards at zero blance (best to start fresh and I am moving so there is no way to miss a payment if I don't owe one).

In using them after that I plan to leave that magical 1-9% balance to report.  Is it as effective if I just pay any previous balance and anything in excess of the 1-9% before the due date (have to watch the time between due date and statement date though - learned that with Exxon because it killed my util). or to send the balance just after the statement cuts.  Pros for the two payment method is that you have always made a payment (even if you miss the second one's cutoff date). Con is you have to remember to make both payments.

As a combo method set up the minimum due on autopay to send just after the statement date (never late!) and then the 'keep the util down' payment just before the statement date on a manual payment.

What method are you using and how hard is it to keep up with?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One Payment or Two?

Lady_Scarlet wrote:
As of this month I will have all my cards at zero blance (best to start fresh and I am moving so there is no way to miss a payment if I don't owe one).

In using them after that I plan to leave that magical 1-9% balance to report.  Is it as effective if I just pay any previous balance and anything in excess of the 1-9% before the due date (have to watch the time between due date and statement date though - learned that with Exxon because it killed my util). or to send the balance just after the statement cuts.  Pros for the two payment method is that you have always made a payment (even if you miss the second one's cutoff date). Con is you have to remember to make both payments.

As a combo method set up the minimum due on autopay to send just after the statement date (never late!) and then the 'keep the util down' payment just before the statement date on a manual payment.

What method are you using and how hard is it to keep up with?

For the cards that I have that report the statement balacne, I sent up auto-pay to pay when the statment cuts and hen the balance before the statement date.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.