Valued Member
nish129

One credit card and credit score dropped almost 100 points

Ok here is the situation. I missed a few payments on one of my credit cards. Now my credit score is in the dump again. The credit card company won't remove them because they say the late are accurate. The card is open for payment only. How is that going to effect my score? What is my best plan of action?
Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Re: One credit card and credit score dropped almost 100 points

PIF as quickly as possible!

Between the lates, and the closure with balance, your other creditors may take AA against you. You'll be better positioned if it's PIFd.

Write a really good, really moving goodwill letter. Explain what happened, how it will never happen again, and how much you value the relationship with that lender. Then, google the SEC filings for that lender, get the name and mailing address to someone important at their corporate HQ, and send them the goodwill letter, specifically asking for "forgiveness/rehabilitation".

Why Lenders Might Forgive Your Debt

Good Luck!

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Valued Member
nish129

Sorry what is the SEC filing? Should I ask for the card to be reopened? The lady I spoke with today said that they will/can reopen the account after six months of payments. This is a nightmare.
Senior Contributor
fishbjc

Can you name the creditor?  We may be able to help more.  There are a few companies that aren't good with g/w and some are.  Some you simply have to word harder at.

I'm at around 50%, not bad!!!!!

Valued Member
nish129

The card is Littman Jewelers ... I write my check out to "department of accounts".
Valued Member
nish129

Should this letter be typed or hand written... and how long should i wait to send it(how many more payments should I make)?
Senior Contributor
score_building

nish129 wrote:
Should this letter be typed or hand written... and how long should i wait to send it (how many more payments should I make)?
it can be either typed or hand written neatly, post draft if you want and/or look for samples if you would like additional guidance with it.  send letter asap.  you may have to repeat this several times b4 you see results, don't be discouraged some see success after their first attempt!  sure hope you do too-
FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Valued Member
nish129

I have another question about...

If they don't change anything but I continue tp pay this card on time but don't open it back up will that hurt me?My husband and I plan on working on paying our debt and saving to buy a house in summmer of 2011. Do think if I pay this off my score should recover by this time next year or longer? Is it best for me to leave this card closed? If it seems that I'm confused and frustrated it's because I am. Thanks for any help/advice.

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

You want the account open if you can, especially if you have a balance because a closed account with a balance will bring your score down.
Fico Scores: EQ- 682 DCU, TU 671 GE, EX 695 NASA(09-24-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Walmart $400
Over 45 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Valued Member
nish129

OK  I'm sending the letter today. They told me I had to wait until four months of payments before I could reapply. Maybe the letter will do the trick.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+