cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One more App before the garden... (Update - AMEX Gold)

tag
Jutz
Valued Contributor

One more App before the garden... (Update - AMEX Gold)

So, I came out of the garden to grab an auto loan and a DCU Visa, with much success.  $2k isn't enormous, but it matches my high from Cap1 and it didn't take me emailing the DCU CEO, so that's a win.

I'd like to grab an AMEX Green, and a decent rewards card that might be doable at my level.  TU hasn't updated for January yet, but it'll be 675+.  My EX is a mystery as always, but for what it's worth, Credit Sesame has me at 721 (Almost definitely high).  EQ is my lowest at 660.  I think I'd be able to at least recon a Green, but my question is with the revolver.  Am I able to get a Green, get the account setup, then try for a BCE?  So that it would be a soft if denied, hard if accepted?  Meaning is there a limit to the number of AMEX products you can get within a period of time?

Should I be looking at Discover IT instead of trying for the two AMEX?  Maybe Freedom?  I know my scores are borderline, but my UTIL is <3%, I have very few INQs, my income is decent, and I have very low debt in general (My auto loan hasn't reported yet either)

Any advice is welcome, even if it's "put down the mouse and go back to the garden"

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: One more App before the garden...

Welp, my loan is officially funded and the check sent out FedEx, so that's concrete.  My DCU Visa is approved, funded, and likewise mailed.  Nothing but the two INQs on EQ have been reported, so I feel like if there's a time to pull the trigger, it's now.  Otherwise I'm going to wait until at least April and probably further out to let these new accounts age at least 6 months.

Is this too aggressive?  Will there be any negative consequences to opening 3 cards and an Auto loan in the same 30 days?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 2 of 23
ALLevesque
Established Member

I'd go AMEX... they were really generous with me.  My scores were a little higher, but not much.  And my utilization was at 18%ish.

I opened 2 cc's and an auto loan in the last 30 days.

Message 3 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

Welp, my loan is officially funded and the check sent out FedEx, so that's concrete.  My DCU Visa is approved, funded, and likewise mailed.  Nothing but the two INQs on EQ have been reported, so I feel like if there's a time to pull the trigger, it's now.  Otherwise I'm going to wait until at least April and probably further out to let these new accounts age at least 6 months.

Is this too aggressive?  Will there be any negative consequences to opening 3 cards and an Auto loan in the same 30 days?

Hey Jutz!

If you don't mind my asking- what kinds of negs do you have on your report.  Generally, I'd say you could go for a green CC with Amex and have a good likelihood of approval.  I don't think you are being too aggressive rebuilding.  As your profile improves, I wouldn't recommend apping so many in a short time to get really good Prime.  Also, what's your AAoA?

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 23
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Green and Gold have the same approval standards, correct?  They still offer the Gold on the website, I thought the AF was higher than 125.  Any particular reason to go for 1 or the other?  This sounds insane, but I have a corporate Green that I don't want to mix up with my personal so the Gold may help (Multiple coworkers have done the same).

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 23
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

Hey Jutz!

If you don't mind my asking- what kinds of negs do you have on your report.  Generally, I'd say you could go for a green CC with Amex and have a good likelihood of approval.  I don't think you are being too aggressive rebuilding.  As your profile improves, I wouldn't recommend apping so many in a short time to get really good Prime.  Also, what's your AAoA?

Any help is welcome!

AAoA = 5 years

Derogs on EX: Handful of 30 day lates (1 from April of '12, this is my biggest concern) and a 3 year old 90 day late

Derogs on EQ/TU: Same as EX except a 6.5 year old Charge off from Verizon

If I pull the trigger, I'm done apping for anything for 6 months to a year, I wouldn't need anything else.  I wouldn't normally even think about it, but I have a need for a charge card to organize my reimbursable travel expenses.  I figure a charge card is a perfect way to float the balances of expenses I don't have to pay out of pocket.

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

Hey Jutz!

Any help is welcome!

AAoA = 5 years

Derogs on EX: Handful of 30 day lates (1 from April of '12, this is my biggest concern) and a 3 year old 90 day late

Derogs on EQ/TU: Same as EX except a 6.5 year old Charge off from Verizon

If I pull the trigger, I'm done apping for anything for 6 months to a year, I wouldn't need anything else.  I wouldn't normally even think about it, but I have a need for a charge card to organize my reimbursable travel expenses.  I figure a charge card is a perfect way to float the balances of expenses I don't have to pay out of pocket.

Well, your AAoA is good.  That 30 day is relatively new.  It is a concern.  I still think you might be approved.  I think you could also get a Freedom card while you're at it.  May have to recon but you will have one in your wallet.  I say app them both then garden for a full year.  You could also probably get a Barclay Card if you wanted with a recon too.  I wouldn't expect high limits but they will grow with you.  Best of luck.  Let us know!  Smiley Happy. Mind you- the Amex is really really iffy With such a relatively new baddie.

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 23
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Are the approval standards for Green vs. Gold still exactly the same?

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 8 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Jutz- sorry - forgot to answer his for you.   The Amex Green and Gold have pretty much the same approval criteria.  App either one.  Gold=125/Green=95.  Only difference.  Rewards pretty close to same.  I think you are borderline on both with their internal scoring but now would be the time to app or wait another 6 months.

Message 9 of 23
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Jutz- sorry - forgot to answer his for you.   The Amex Green and Gold have pretty much the same approval criteria.  App either one.  Gold=125/Green=95.  Only difference.  Rewards pretty close to same.  I think you are borderline on both with their internal scoring but now would be the time to app or wait another 6 months.

I'm gonna decide on it over lunch.  I don't like getting denied Smiley Tongue

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.