cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One more App before the garden... (Update - AMEX Gold)

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: One more App before the garden...

@Jutz wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Jutz- sorry - forgot to answer his for you.   The Amex Green and Gold have pretty much the same approval criteria.  App either one.  Gold=125/Green=95.  Only difference.  Rewards pretty close to same.  I think you are borderline on both with their internal scoring but now would be the time to app or wait another 6 months.

I'm gonna decide on it over lunch.  I don't like getting denied Smiley Tongue

HaHa- me either.  Wish you the best.  I think the app is tilted toward approval- only slightly.  I like the Amex Chargers.  Use them all the time.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 11 of 23
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Given that you have such few inquiries, I don't see the harm in giving it a try unless you are trying for something bigger/better in the near future. Any home purchase or refinance in the near future?

If getting an Amex revolver is your ultimate goal, my opinion is to skip the charge and go right for your ultimate goal. Why carry around a card with an AF you don't want?  All you have to lose at this point is the inquiry, since your member date will be 2013 no matter what. If it doesn't work out you can re-plan and attack in a different way in 3-6 months.  Not to mention one Amex denial inquiry doesn't exclude your ability to get other cards right now if you're interested in the Discover or something else.

Also, make sure you understand how your spending habits work out for the BCE vs. BCP decision. $210 in groceries per month justifies the BCP, and less if you will use it for any gas or department store purchases. Plus, BCP has a $150 sign-up bonus vs $100 for BCE.

Good luck and let us know your decision!

Edit: just saw that you want the charge. Then in that case maybe go for the charge and give the revolver a few more months, unless you are dead set for gardening for a year. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 12 of 23
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

Given that you have such few inquiries, I don't see the harm in giving it a try unless you are trying for something bigger/better in the near future. Any home purchase or refinance in the near future?

If getting an Amex revolver is your ultimate goal, my opinion is to skip the charge and go right for your ultimate goal. Why carry around a card with an AF you don't want?  All you have to lose at this point is the inquiry, since your member date will be 2013 no matter what. If it doesn't work out you can re-plan and attack in a different way in 3-6 months.  Not to mention one Amex denial inquiry doesn't exclude your ability to get other cards right now if you're interested in the Discover or something else.

Also, make sure you understand how your spending habits work out for the BCE vs. BCP decision. $210 in groceries per month justifies the BCP, and less if you will use it for any gas or department store purchases. Plus, BCP has a $150 sign-up bonus vs $100 for BCE.

Edit: just saw that you want the charge. Then in that case maybe go for the charge and give the revolver a few more months, unless you are dead set for gardening for a year. 

Thanks for the reply!

I THINK my reasoning justifies a charge, at least it makes sense for me.  I have a decent amount of revolving for my needs at the moment, and it's only going to grow.  I don't have any big purchases coming up now that the car is out of the way.  Next up would probably be a refi on the car in 6 months (I'll be able to get 1.99% from DCU at that point).  At that time I can try my next round of cards, or retry what I fail at now.  Mortgage in probably 12 months, saving for a down payment at the moment.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 13 of 23
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

I THINK my reasoning justifies a charge, at least it makes sense for me.  I have a decent amount of revolving for my needs at the moment, and it's only going to grow.  I don't have any big purchases coming up now that the car is out of the way.  Next up would probably be a refi on the car in 6 months (I'll be able to get 1.99% from DCU at that point).  At that time I can try my next round of cards, or retry what I fail at now.  Mortgage in probably 12 months, saving for a down payment at the moment.

Sounds like a plan! I'm of the opinion that as long as you have thought everything through, and that the worst case scenario (denial in this case) doesn't hurt you with respect to future credit goals, applying for a card you want makes sense. 

Like you said, this is probably the ideal moment for you to give this a try.  Sending good karma your way!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 14 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

Though I agree in general with this good advice, I would strongly advise against apping a Amex revolver.  I think you are borderline approval for a Charger.  I do agree that you should go for the cards you want but only when it is feasible that you will likely be approved.  Smiley Happy. No need in wasting an inq.  I am a big fan of the BCP- with only a minimal spend of $25 weekly in groceries you recoup the AF.  Everything else is cake.    Smiley Happy 

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 23
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Approved instantly online for Gold Smiley Very Happy

Very, very happy.  Thanks guys.  I'm gonna go enjoy lunch with a huge smile now.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 16 of 23
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Knew it! Congratulations!

Message 17 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Super Congrats! Very Nice!

Message 18 of 23
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

hour you took advantage of the 50k points offer, from the other thread.

grats!
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 19 of 23
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Just the plain gold, not the PRG, I wish haha.
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.