Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of the perks of Amex Plat.

tag
ElCamino
Contributor

One of the perks of Amex Plat.

I don't happen to have the Platinum card myself, but I have discovered one of the awesome benefits that the card has and would like to share it with others.

Amex Platinum cardholders are eligible to have the cost of the US Customs & Border Patrol's Global Entry Program covered for them for free (a $100 value).

I work at a large airport, so I have a little bit of knowledge about why this is so great. The Global Entry Program was established in order to gain background information of people that travel internationally frequently in order to expedite processing. In these days of government cutbacks, the lines for Customs have gotten out of hand, and can be anywhere from 2.5-3 hours long. The travelers I speak to that use Global Entry say that being a member of the program cuts their wait down to an average of 10 minutes.

Where it gets really interesting is that this program can benefit you even if you don't travel internationally very often. The Transportation Security Administration has a new trusted traveler program known as "Pre-Check", and Global Entry membership can qualify you for the program. Now Pre-Check is only available at the moment to people travelling domestically, so the Global Entry card can kill two birds with one stone. In Pre-Check, the passengers have some modified rules when compared to going through a regular security line, and the lines are generally shorter. You just need to make sure you take your Global Entry Member # and put it into all of your airline profiles, so that when you order your tickets the airline can provide the TSA with the information.

I often hear people on here talking about the benefits of lounge access and such for having a Platinum card, but what good is lounge access if you're stuck in a security line? Smiley Wink

Cheers!

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Re: One of the perks of Amex Plat.

This is very useful knowledge - thanks for the info !!

Message 2 of 20
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Yes I'll be making use of this perk as well.

That's another $100 benefits of a $450-$475 AF card. Add that to the $200 in airline exepense reimbursements and your actual annual fee is only $150-$175.

This is before you factor in the value of sign on bonus, lounge access, and quite alot more.

<No I don't work for Amex> Smiley Very Happy

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 20
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

If anyone is interested in learning more about TSA "Pre-Check" - this is the link (updated May 2, 2013):

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2/tsa-pre-check-TM-how-it-works

Message 4 of 20
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for posting this!  I saw the Pre Check line when I was going through security at LAX a few weeks ago, and it looked like such a quick way to get through, but I didn't know how it worked.  I was thinking of upgrading my PRG to a Platinum since I fly domestically about once a month, but wasn't sure.  I would absolutely take advantage of the entire 200.00 airline credit, and since the Global Entry fee is waived or paid for (and it gets you in the domestic Pre Check program), then that's a total 300.00 savings, not including the lounge admissions of course.

Message 5 of 20
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Don't "Upgrade". Just apply for the platinum version you want mercedes benz or regular platinum. Currently the public sign on bonus for the regular plat is 25k MR while the MB plat is 50k MR. Difference in AF is $25 higher for MB.

You might get lucky and find in your mail box a pre-approval for a business plat 100k MR offer. They have been sending them out quite alot lately.

Either way, hold out for a good sign on bonus. those MR points really worth it.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Message 6 of 20
ElCamino
Contributor

I figured we had a lot of frequent fliers in here. Smiley Very Happy

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 7 of 20
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

NJTurnpike -

I hear you about the bonus and just applying for a new card, but I've gotten a lot of new cards this past year and just don't want any more inquiries or new accounts showing up on my reports.  Maybe if I call them they will give some type of retention bonus for upgrading to the Plat, if I say I'm thinking of just canceling the PRG.  Can't hurt to ask anyway.

Message 8 of 20
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

keep in mind the "new amex" account will show up back dated to match your oldest amex account. so the real cost is the HP. unless of course your relationship with amex just started as well.

Message 9 of 20
ElCamino
Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

keep in mind the "new amex" account will show up back dated to match your oldest amex account. so the real cost is the HP. unless of course your relationship with amex just started as well.

And a denial is only a SP is it not?

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.