Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One year in my credit journey with MyFico

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

One year in my credit journey with MyFico

Update : this was written a year ago. I'm happy to report that I have been able to continue in a positive direction! Thanks to the MyFICO community.

Original post :

So, here's to my 1-year anniversary with this forum !

This board's given me a lot. Got a lot of advice, gave some (regardless of whether called for or not), came across many wise, interesting, and funny characters, and realized that I need another hobby Smiley Tongue But nevertheless, this one year helped me a lot.

I joined this forum a year ago after lurking around a bit, and getting puny limits from Chase, with whom I have had banking accounts for more than a year at that time.

This was how my credit lines looked then (oldest to newest):

UFCU: 2k (opened Aug 2012)

Cap One Q/S: 2k

Discover It: 2k

Citi Dividend: 2k

REI Visa: 1k

AMEX BCE: 1k

Sallie Mae: 3k

Chase Freedom: 0.5k

Chase Slate: 1k (opened Apr 2014)

Total: 13.5k

Scores were between 620 and 650. Utilization was around 80-90%. SO didn't have a job; I was and still am a grad student. Travel bills, rent, food etc. were piling up. To be honest, I wanted CCs to park my debt at 0%. 

After the sad run with Chase (post prequals, with 22.99% APRs), I decided to post on these boards about my situation. Members suggested I go garden. The garden thread was fun, with bits and pieces of banter in between long threads of generally harmless conversation. 

I realized I had some of the good cards that people generally wanted; not with the best limits or rates. I also realized that I would app unless I took some drastic measures. I froze my 3 credit reports; and logged in to Pupeitmeister's paying down the debt challenge. 

I gardened for 6 months straight; in the meanwhile, kept costs from increasing, SO got a job offer, and finally also some joining bonus. We consolidated money, and started paying down our debts. We created budgets and ensured we adhered to them. Older accounts started looking up. Discover was the first to give CLI (auto), followed by Cap One (EO route) and Citi (SP CLI). Then Chase Freedom doubled; I closed Slate and merged limits. 

In the meanwhile, managed to get a DCU membership (for free FICO basically) without a HP. Had to unfreeze EQ with a lender-specific PIN.

In October, SM doubled its limits; so did AMEX. Both were paid down to zero in their previous statements. I got my first successful 3X with AMEX after 3 days. 

For the first time in my US credit history, I had close to zero balance on all credit cards ($2 total).

Then the NASA juggernaut came. I gave in; apped for membership. They asked to unfreeze EX for the SP. Did it. Got the membership. Applied for the CC. Denied with SP, because of residence. EX was open; temptation prevailed. Checked Chase prequal. Slate, CSP, Marriott. Apped for CSP. Verification call. Got through. Approved. 

EX still open. Looked at my "dream" card, the Cash+. The elusive app. Called the number provided by Wade on one of the threads. App was taken, "sent for verification". Had to wait for 9 days. And then, got it. 

To possible naysayers: I didn't plan specific CRs. My EX was, and is, the worst hit. But Chase and US Bank have pulled EX for me previously, and NASA specifically asked to get EX open. 

Anyhow, got the two "desired" cards, didn't app for anything then. We had some travels coming up, racked up the bonuses, and then in Feb this year, got the Southwest. Did a stupid thing and apped for the Venture but since EQ was frozen, it was declined (though EX took another hit). Wasn't too keen anyway so didn't pursue it anymore. 

As a fitting reward to my 1-year journey on this forum, SMMC, Discover, and AMEX all increased their CLs over the last month. My current lines are as follows:

UFCU: 2k (opened Aug 2012)

Cap One Q/S: 6k

Discover It: 10k

Citi Dividend: 4.5k

US Bank REI Visa: 3k

AMEX BCE: 15k

Sallie Mae: 8.5k

Chase Freedom: 5k

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 5.7k

US Bank Cash+: 8.5k

Chase Southwest: 4k

Total: 72.2k

Scores are 720-750

If not for this board, I wouldn't have learned as much as I have. My credit would not be where it is today; I would not have known some of the awesome strategies (3X CLIs, calling for SPs, EO contact, Chase prequals, freezing for gardening); and I would have missed on knowing so many cool and fun and knowledgeable people.

Thanks, MyFICO.

And thanks to anyone reading this post.

TL;DR: Me spend a year on MyFICO. Me have 5X credit now. Me feel good. Me share. Me thank FICO Forums.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One year in my credit journey with MyFico

An inspiring journey! Congratulations!!!!

Message 2 of 18
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

An inspiring journey! Congratulations!!!!

Thanks.

I know there are people on these boards fairly new to credit and want their credit to grow quickly. My oldest card was less than 2 years old when I joined these forums. My AAoA is still less than 1.5 years. I have tried to not be too greedy or rash in my actions.

I hope sharing my story might help some of them.

Message 3 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

An amazing journey indeed and with great accomplishments overall!  Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! 

Message 4 of 18
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

An amazing journey indeed and with great accomplishments overall!  Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! 

Thanks FinStar ! 

Right now, I'm the resident "credit expert" at my house and in my friend circle (or so I'd like to think) Smiley Tongue Guess where I get all of my info from Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow congratulations!
Message 6 of 18
pa850
Regular Contributor

Excellent job! Thank you for sharing your story.  

Message 7 of 18
jbsea
Established Contributor

that is a really great story, thank you for sharing and keep up the good work..

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 8 of 18
EdMan63
Established Contributor

Great story. Thanks for sharing!!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the hard work.  Credit is never easy....

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.