cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online shopping portal questions (combine...in person..)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Online shopping portal questions (combine...in person..)

1) Long shot here, but is there any way to combine portal bonuses? Like combine UR portal and also AA shopping portal? Doubtful, but just thought I'd ask.

2) I do more of my shopping in person...a lot of it is sort of 'whim' shopping. Like, I may need to go to Walmart, which I can get 1 mile / $1 extra for AA mall...but that's for online. Is there some way to account for this? Is there some way to get like, an eVoucher or something I can pick up right before heading to the store? I don't do too much shopping, but I shop at a lot of places on these portals in person and it typically isn't planned. Another example is I'm bored on the weekend and I want to get some stuff at Home Depot like plant some plants, or fix something in my house. Sort of a spur of the moment thing, but not sure how I can work the online malls into this...

EDIT: Is the MPX app more suited for those spur-of-the-moment and in-person shopping trips? I just watched the video and it seems like I can use it without doing anything online...just on my phone...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Online shopping portal questions (combine...in person..)

@Anonymous wrote:

1) Long shot here, but is there any way to combine portal bonuses? Like combine UR portal and also AA shopping portal? Doubtful, but just thought I'd ask.

2) I do more of my shopping in person...a lot of it is sort of 'whim' shopping. Like, I may need to go to Walmart, which I can get 1 mile / $1 extra for AA mall...but that's for online. Is there some way to account for this? Is there some way to get like, an eVoucher or something I can pick up right before heading to the store? I don't do too much shopping, but I shop at a lot of places on these portals in person and it typically isn't planned. Another example is I'm bored on the weekend and I want to get some stuff at Home Depot like plant some plants, or fix something in my house. Sort of a spur of the moment thing, but not sure how I can work the online malls into this...

EDIT: Is the MPX app more suited for those spur-of-the-moment and in-person shopping trips? I just watched the video and it seems like I can use it without doing anything online...just on my phone...

1)  Generally no.   The whole point of the portals is that they get a referrral bonus from the merchant, some or all of which is passed to you.  Sending you to another portal doesn't count.   Also there are over 100 malls, so if you could do this (or even loop between 2) things would be very cheap!      

That said, in some cases you might be able to buy gift cards through one portal and use them through another to get both bonuses (such as miles AND cashback).   Usually people just "double dip" with the same portal, using it once to get the gift cards and then again using the gift cards for purchase.   This varies from merchant to merchant, some exclude rewards on gift card purchases.

2) Really the same thing.   Walmart pays a portal because they send purchasing traffic their way.   If you are in the store, they don't need to pay!

Message 2 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sorry but basically I have to shoot down both of your questions.

You can't combine portal discounts. The only "combining" you can do is getting the cash back from your CC along with the portal discount (Discover gives you 1% on general spend, plus whatever you get from their portal, etc). But combining actual seperate portal discounts? Not gonna happen.

As far as wanting the online deals in-store, again, not happening. The deals are offered as an incentive for one to shop online. If you go into the store, the same deal can't be offered. Personally, I don't mind shopping online for items I don't need "right this second". If it gets me a better deal, why not?

If you are shopping "on a whim" in stores, your best bet is an app like RetailMeNot which offers in-store coupons etc.

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

As far as wanting the online deals in-store, again, not happening. The deals are offered as an incentive for one to shop online.

While (as in the previous post) I agree with your conclusion, this characterization isn't quite the way I would phrase it.   If say Walmart wanted to incent online shopping (over going to their store) they put good deals on Walmart.com     When they give deals to shopping portals, it's because they hope that the portals will increase purchasing traffic to their website

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading about MPX, it seems like that's better suited to in-person shopping. Some really good deals too. I wish they'd come out with a similar app for American!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.