cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only one credit card. Better to pay in full or leave small balance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only one credit card. Better to pay in full or leave small balance?

I have read many posts about paying in full all of your credit cards and leaving one credit card with a 5%-9% balance after statement cuts. What if you only have ONE credit card? Is it best to leave a small balance or pay it in full? What will give you the best FICO score?

Other than my one credit card, I have a car loan and student loan tradelines. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Only one credit card. Better to pay in full or leave small balance?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read many posts about paying in full all of your credit cards and leaving one credit card with a 5%-9% balance after statement cuts. What if you only have ONE credit card? Is it best to leave a small balance or pay it in full? What will give you the best FICO score?

The best score you will get is to let it report a 1% balance

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Wade- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wade is correct as to the absolute best score. You would need to pay down the card to <1% before the statement cuts and pay the rest of it before the due date. However, this only really applies if you're getting close to applying for something. Otherwise, just pay in full every month, and don't sweat the urge to boost your score. 

Message 3 of 5
Chris679
Established Contributor

1-9% is optimal. I PIF right before the due date and whatever transactions are pending at that time will give me my 1-9%.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wade is correct as to the absolute best score. You would need to pay down the card to <1% before the statement cuts and pay the rest of it before the due date. However, this only really applies if you're getting close to applying for something. Otherwise, just pay in full every month, and don't sweat the urge to boost your score. 

+1

Only reasons to consider having card report a small balance less than 10% is if you plan on applying for something soon. Otherwise, you can just let the card report a balance and PIF before the due date. The only exceptions would be if you are utilizing dangerously high amounts of credit (over 50%) on your only card or if your overall credit profile is very weak and you are worried that a drop in points due to utilization will result in AAs. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.