cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only students can be approved for Citi Forward?

tag
primechicken
Contributor

Only students can be approved for Citi Forward?

Only a version for students is available as far as I can tell. But do they really go to the trouble to verify this? Has anyone who is not a student been approved for this card in the last few months since the regular version has no longer been available? It looks like a card I could benefit from, but I am not a student. Do I still have a shot at it?

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Only students can be approved for Citi Forward?

@primechicken wrote:

Only a version for students is available as far as I can tell. But do they really go to the trouble to verify this? Has anyone who is not a student been approved for this card in the last few months since the regular version has no longer been available? It looks like a card I could benefit from, but I am not a student. Do I still have a shot at it?

Not entirely sure..........

Discover have asked some people to prove their student status by sending in proof of enrollment / registration. This doesn't happen to everyone who applies for Discover for Student though.

Wells Fargo generally ask you for your school email address to send an email to you and you have to click a link in the email to verify. 

Not sure what Citi does. Not everyone is asked to verify as well.

Its kinda a YMMV thing depending on your luck.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 18
primechicken
Contributor

Judging from the application page, which apparently used to include an option to click "not a student" but no longer does, it seems like making the phone call and applying that way might have more luck. The student information on the application page is all red asterisked as required information. Not sure how to get around that.

Message 3 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

I was looking at the benefits and saw this:

Cellular Telephone Protection3

If you pay your monthly cell phone bills with your Citi®credit card and your cell phone is damaged or stolen, you have supplemental insurance coverage that reimburses you for a replacement phone.

Damn that's pretty sweet lol. It's like free insurance / permanent purchase protection if they do reimburse for the whole phone.

I'm looking at the online app as well. No way to get around the school info part. You could try calling them. Best of luck and keep us updated!

EDIT: 
To add....just went through T&C.

it says:

Cellular Telephone Protection
Visa Cellular Telephone Protection is supplemental reimbursement and is underwritten by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Coverage is subject to a maximum reimbursement amount of $250 in excess of the $50 co-payment you are required to pay.  Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

Not as good, but still good nevertheless I suppose.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 18
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'm curious about this one too, as it seems they're pushing the Simplicity, or TYP in it's place.

Message 5 of 18
primechicken
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

I was looking at the benefits and saw this:

Cellular Telephone Protection3

If you pay your monthly cell phone bills with your Citi®credit card and your cell phone is damaged or stolen, you have supplemental insurance coverage that reimburses you for a replacement phone.

Damn that's pretty sweet lol. It's like free insurance / permanent purchase protection if they do reimburse for the whole phone.

I'm looking at the online app as well. No way to get around the school info part. You could try calling them. Best of luck and keep us updated!

EDIT: 
To add....just went through T&C.

it says:

Cellular Telephone Protection
Visa Cellular Telephone Protection is supplemental reimbursement and is underwritten by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Coverage is subject to a maximum reimbursement amount of $250 in excess of the $50 co-payment you are required to pay.  Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

Not as good, but still good nevertheless I suppose.

Good research, looks like a halfway decent bonus incentive.

Honestly I wouldn't be applying for this until later in the year. Just trying to anticipate. I'm in the garden for now. From what I've read the value of TY points is dwindling. Card owners reporting that they used to translate 1pt=1cent but now closer to 2pts=1cent. Seems there are ways around it though. Even if that's true, 2.5% back on dining, Amazon.com, movies, etc, still ain't bad.

Message 6 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

I'm curious about this one too, as it seems they're pushing the Simplicity, or TYP in it's place.

Also note that people are getting info that the TYP is moving to x2 structure for entertainment/dining(in place of the current x1 for everything).   Purely a guess on my part, but I wonder if Citi plans to move existing, non-student, Forward holders to the TYP as an "upgrade" with worse benefits, potentially leaving the Forward as just a student card (or getting rid of that as well.)  Uncapped 5x in the dining/entertainment/Amazon/bookstores categories might be too expensive for a free card

Message 7 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Also note that people are getting info that the TYP is moving to x2 structure for entertainment/dining(in place of the current x1 for everything).   Purely a guess on my part, but I wonder if Citi plans to move existing, non-student, Forward holders to the TYP as an "upgrade" with worse benefits, potentially leaving the Forward as just a student card (or getting rid of that as well.)  Uncapped 5x in the dining/entertainment/Amazon/bookstores categories might be too expensive for a free card

I wish I knew about this card before It was discontinued :/

Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@primechicken wrote:

From what I've read the value of TY points is dwindling. Card owners reporting that they used to translate 1pt=1cent but now closer to 2pts=1cent. Seems there are ways around it though.

It's devalued compared to quite a while ago, but some major redemptions (student loan, most $100 gift cards, mortgage) are still 1:1.   If you also have a TYP or above, then all points earned by the forward can be redeemed 1:1

Message 9 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
It's devalued compared to quite a while ago, but some major redemptions (student loan, most $100 gift cards, mortgage) are still 1:1.   If you also have a TYP or above, then all points earned by the forward can be redeemed 1:1

By TYP, do you mean Preferred or Premier? Smiley Surprised
I am guessing Premier, but I am hoping Preferred! lol

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.