Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oops, Freedom isn't a soft pull...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops, Freedom isn't a soft pull...

Just have to rant, and remind other members... I just got a 4K bump on my Chase Sapphire, but not on the Freedom, so I figured I request a CLI. Can't hurt right? I got the CLI on Sapphire recently (within a few months). Well not only did I get a denial (really didn't need it anyways) but I got hit with a inquiry and it dropped my my EQ by 4 and EX by 9. Kinda makes me mad since we work so hard for these points to be high. Had I known it was going to be a hard pull, I would have never done it.

so a reminder to the folks here. Chase will do a Hard pull if you request a CLI unlike AMEX (and I think Discover)

Who else am I going to vent to besides you guys Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Re: Oops, Freedom isn't a soft pull...

Pretty sure that was already common knowledge.

Just about anything you want to change on your Chase cards, it's going to be a HP. Visa Siggy upgrades, PCs, transferring CLs, CLIs... all going to cost you a HP. 

Vent? I haven't wanted a Fidelity Amex but after handling a customer's yesterday... happy I don't want one! Wow that's a cheap crappy feeling card! People give the Cap1 Quicksilver a bunch of crap... the QS feels downright premium compared to the Fidelity Amex card. (I've never had a problem with the QS card, and happy they've moved to indenting the card again). 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@colinstu wrote:

Just about anything you want to change on your Chase cards, it's going to be a HP. Visa Siggy upgrades, PCs, transferring CLs, CLIs... all going to cost you a HP. 

Yup, Chase pretty much does everything Hard.

And it's probably easier to get a new account with Chase rather than request a CLI. 

Message 3 of 26
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

For Chase you need to be lucky if you don't  not get double pulled  for a CLI  Smiley Sad ... What you can do if you do not need the CLI on the card where they offered  the increase  just call and ask to move  part of the limit  to another card. Chase is pretty good about that but definitely not with customer initiated CLI or requests for APR reductions.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just have to rant, and remind other members... I just got a 4K bump on my Chase Sapphire, but not on the Freedom, so I figured I request a CLI. Can't hurt right? I got the CLI on Sapphire recently (within a few months). Well not only did I get a denial (really didn't need it anyways) but I got hit with a inquiry and it dropped my my EQ by 4 and EX by 9. Kinda makes me mad since we work so hard for these points to be high. Had I known it was going to be a hard pull, I would have never done it.

so a reminder to the folks here. Chase will do a Hard pull if you request a CLI unlike AMEX (and I think Discover)

Who else am I going to vent to besides you guys Smiley Sad

What you are posting about is very common knowledge.  In the future, you might want to check here instead of assuming that every creditor is the same.  You could have saved yourself the HP.  You really don't have any reason to be mad as you should always assume any kind of credit request is going to be an HP unless specifically noted otherwise. Lesson learned.

Message 5 of 26
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Yes it probably is easier to apply for a new card and deal with the computer than with some of those arrogant reps they have, but just remember that's not a sure thing either and can also cost you one (or two from my recent experience) HP's....this I definitely know.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 6 of 26
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@colinstu wrote:

Vent? I haven't wanted a Fidelity Amex but after handling a customer's yesterday... happy I don't want one! Wow that's a cheap crappy feeling card! People give the Cap1 Quicksilver a bunch of crap... the QS feels downright premium compared to the Fidelity Amex card. (I've never had a problem with the QS card, and happy they've moved to indenting the card again). 

I don't think thats entirely true. CLI, yes. The others, well..

Message 7 of 26
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about that OP, but as the others have stated, it's pretty common knowledge that customer initiated CLI requests are HPs with Chase.  I'll tell you what though, Amex, Capital One, and Discover have spoiled me with their SP request process.

Message 8 of 26
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

@colinstu wrote:

I don't think thats entirely true. CLI, yes. The others, well..

It's not quite accurate at all. I have never heard of Chase doing HPs for limit transfers, Freedom Visa Signature upgrades, nor product changing. I've personally transferred limits and have never had a HP as a result. Citi is the bank notorious for that. CLIs and new cards are the only HPs I am aware of Chase doing for their credit card accounts... neither of which being exclusive to Chase Bank. They don't really do anything out of the norm as it relates to this thread. Most customer initiated CLIs are HPs at most banks, aside from the few that are well documented on these boards.

Message 9 of 26
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Cal: The statement isn't off by much....Chase and USAA are both hard-pull happy.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.