Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oops - just applied for AmEx Blue...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops - just applied for AmEx Blue...

... on a whim, from the 'pre-approvals' page I never knew existed 'til I found the link on here (I already have a Gold Delta SkyMiles card with them that I was inspired to ask for a CLI on last week, and thus went from a $2800 CL to $7400), for no readily apparent reason whatsoever as I have no real NEED of a new card whatsoever.

Closed my eyes after submitting the app, and was very happy to see the 'congratulations' message and that they will be sending my $2000 limit card within 7-10 days. My second American Express card, I must be going up in the world... Smiley Happy

If it's true that AmEx pulls Experian, EX is my worst score (670), if that info might be of any use to anyone thinking of applying. Assuming they look at debt to credit ratios etc, mine is reporting at 13% (overall util), although as theirs is the only one of my 5 cards reporting a balance (and it's MUCH lower than what's reported, not to mention the fact that the credit limit has almost tripled but isn't reported yet), that info from my credit report is entirely unrelated to what they can see by just looking at my account!

Looking forward to the arrival of my pretty and unnecessary new piece of plastic in the next couple of weeks! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Oops - just applied for AmEx Blue...

Super Congrats fevmlo!!!!! Smiley Happy

It seems you and AmEx are getting along quite
well these days. If you obtained new credit from
them by accident, just imagine what the future holds
for you...Smiley Wink

Once again, congratulations on your success.
Keep up the great work! Smiley Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new card-

When did you get your Delta?

Message 3 of 13
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

In my personal experience, account history seems to go a long way with Amex. When I got my Delta, I had also applied for Green, to take advantage of them using the same inquiry, and was denied.

After a couple months of good PIF usage, I was instantly approved for both Green and Clear, with no real significant jump in my EX score at the time.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you (all - edited from 'both' 'cos I hadn't spotted all three replies at the time!) for the congrats! I'm absurdly pleased with the approval for the card I had no idea I was going to apply for 30 minutes ago!

I got the Delta card at the beginning of November ('07) - I was absolutely ECSTATIC to be approved for that one, given that the existing contents of my wallet were a low-limit Capital One Platinum Visa, a US Bank secured Visa (which will be reaching its one-year anniversary any day now - time to 'convert' to an unsecured one!) and a Macy's store card!

Mmmm, I LIKE AmEx! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by fevmlo on 05-17-2008 09:26 AM
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The new card will report an open date of May 2007 then !!!!!!!!!!

The blue only has membership rewards express-
I would HIGHLY consider getting a Green-

It has a $95 AF but-
It upgrades you blue to regular Membership rewards-
Reduces your AF on Delta to $35- so it's more like a $30 AF

fevmlo wrote:
Thank you (both) for the congrats! I'm absurdly pleased with the approval for the card I had no idea I was going to apply for 30 minutes ago!

I got the Delta card at the beginning of November ('07) - I was absolutely ECSTATIC to be approved for that one, given that the existing contents of my wallet were a low-limit Capital One Platinum Visa, a US Bank secured Visa (which will be reaching its one-year anniversary any day now - time to 'convert' to an unsecured one!) and a Macy's store card!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

(D'oh - I messed the quoting up on this completely!)

Ooh!! Thanks for the info... I had no idea about that, although I had noticed that the Express rewards are less impressive than the regular kind...! Hmm - when I look at the 'preapproval' page there's no mention of the Green card, just the 'Rewards Plus Gold Card' (and the Platinum, and the Blue Sky) - possibly stupid question, but does this mean I'd have LESS chance of getting approved for Green if I don't go through the pre-app page? I don't want to pay the larger fee for the Gold unless it'd be seriously worth it... also is applying for multiple cards in one day going to look bad? Finally... wait!! I just noticed you said May 2007!! Really?!? How (and why!) does THAT work, then?! (Thanks so much for all this info, I REALLY appreciate it!!) Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

It has a $95 AF but-

Message Edited by fevmlo on 05-17-2008 09:36 AM

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep - May 07 you read it correct-
This just how Amex reports-

If you have an AU the Gold may is a better deal- and the first year AF is waived- 

Multiple cards on the same day rocks-
Only 1 INQ-
The AMEX INQ's for scoring purposes will be de-dupped with your november one anyways-

fevmlo wrote:
(D'oh - I messed the quoting up on this completely!)

Ooh!! Thanks for the info... I had no idea about that, although I had noticed that the Express rewards are less impressive than the regular kind...! Hmm - when I look at the 'preapproval' page there's no mention of the Green card, just the 'Rewards Plus Gold Card' (and the Platinum, and the Blue Sky) - possibly stupid question, but does this mean I'd have LESS chance of getting approved for Green if I don't go through the pre-app page? I don't want to pay the larger fee for the Gold unless it'd be seriously worth it... also is applying for multiple cards in one day going to look bad? Finally... wait!! I just noticed you said May 2007!! Really?!? How (and why!) does THAT work, then?! (Thanks so much for all this info, I REALLY appreciate it!!) Smiley Happy

Timothy wrote:

It has a $95 AF but-

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uh-oh... I just tried and got the whole 'in progress, blah blah, we'll let you know' message... worried now!
Message 9 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you (both) for the congrats! I'm absurdly pleased with the approval for the card I had no idea I was going to apply for 30 minutes ago!

It has a $95 AF but-

OK, Timothy, I knew that a second card would show the year of the original card, but are you saying that it would show THIS month and LAST year as the opening date, making it look older than the original? I thought it just took the month and date of the first card!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.