cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open hole in wallet with closure of Cap1. Want to fill it.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Open hole in wallet with closure of Cap1. Want to fill it.

Which miles cards specifically?
Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

lol crap. Thats probably a can of worms. Didn't think they're several out there like any other type of reward card. I would have to read up on them individually.

Message 32 of 40
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

lol crap. Thats probably a can of worms. Didn't think they're several out there like any other type of reward card. I would have to read up on them individually.

Generally, the co-branded cards don't expire the points/miles as ling as the card is open.

Cards like the US Bank Travel (no)Rewards and others expire points after some number like 18 to 36 months if they arent used.

Miles that are only in a FF program, not being drip-fed by a CC points source or actual flight usage also expire after 18 months or slightly longer.

CapOne Venture miles don't expire though there is a $59 AF. Venture One also do not expire, no AF.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 33 of 40
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Everyone should have Cap One in their wallet!
OP, did you try and PC that Cap One card to a no AF card? I can't imagine giving up a 10 year card.

Why do you say that? I don't have or want one (based on the horror stories I read here), and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Their QS only provides .25% higher rewards than my BoA Cash Rewards card on non-category spend or .5% less than my Citi DoubleCash which would be the only card of their cards I'd be remotely interested in. I have the Discover It and Barclaycard Ring for foreign transactions (no FTFs on either), so I don't need the QS for foreign transactions. I don't see how I'd benefit from having a Cap1 in my wallet? I do use CapitalOne 360 and Sharebuilder, and have been happy with both of those, I just don't see what a Cap1 credit card could give me that I don't already have. Let me know if I'm missing some benefit here that I just don't see.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
OP, did you try and PC that Cap One card to a no AF card? I can't imagine giving up a 10 year card.

begtodif.png

Message 35 of 40
NRB525
Super Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do you say that? I don't have or want one (based on the horror stories I read here), and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Their QS only provides .25% higher rewards than my BoA Cash Rewards card on non-category spend or .5% less than my Citi DoubleCash which would be the only card of their cards I'd be remotely interested in. I have the Discover It and Barclaycard Ring for foreign transactions (no FTFs on either), so I don't need the QS for foreign transactions. I don't see how I'd benefit from having a Cap1 in my wallet? I do use CapitalOne 360 and Sharebuilder, and have been happy with both of those, I just don't see what a Cap1 credit card could give me that I don't already have. Let me know if I'm missing some benefit here that I just don't see.

People who start out their credit journey with CapOne cards, as OP did, and build years of good history of payments and usage, can get larger CL with the better CapOne cards. If you start out with Capital One it makes sense to continue to build that relationship, particularly with the no AF cards.

The shocking thing about OP situation is just walking away from Capital One after spending 10 years building a payment history. Sure, the AF and other fees were annoying, but those are features of the particular card, and it is just time to move up several notches in the CapOne tiers.

I will guess that OP will get a much higher CL than either your Discover or Barclaycard Ring. Given the stage of FICO scores, OP may not be qualified for the Ring yet. If anyone gets a large limit with the Ring, I'd be interested to see their scores, and also what happens if they utilize that limit.

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 36 of 40
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess misery likes company Smiley Wink Thats the only reason I can see why several people are trying to convince you to return to CapitalOne. its almost starting to sound like a cult Smiley Wink

You are correct, you don't need CapitalOne.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess misery likes company Smiley Wink Thats the only reason I can see why several people are trying to convince you to return to CapitalOne. its almost starting to sound like a cult Smiley Wink

You are correct, you don't need CapitalOne.

Hey, where's yours?

Message 38 of 40
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

People who start out their credit journey with CapOne cards, as OP did, and build years of good history of payments and usage, can get larger CL with the better CapOne cards. If you start out with Capital One it makes sense to continue to build that relationship, particularly with the no AF cards.

The shocking thing about OP situation is just walking away from Capital One after spending 10 years building a payment history. Sure, the AF and other fees were annoying, but those are features of the particular card, and it is just time to move up several notches in the CapOne tiers.

I will guess that OP will get a much higher CL than either your Discover or Barclaycard Ring. Given the stage of FICO scores, OP may not be qualified for the Ring yet. If anyone gets a large limit with the Ring, I'd be interested to see their scores, and also what happens if they utilize that limit.

I have fairly high scores (750-770 across the board), and I've had the ring for over 1.5 years. My highest utilization on that card has been a little over 40% for around a month. They didn't seem to mind and recently gave me some auto-luv (from $1000 to $3000). So I don't think they care if you use the card/carry a balance as long as you don't max it out and carry that balance for the long term. Just my experience, and of course, your mileage may vary.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 39 of 40
NRB525
Super Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have fairly high scores (750-770 across the board), and I've had the ring for over 1.5 years. My highest utilization on that card has been a little over 40% for around a month. They didn't seem to mind and recently gave me some auto-luv (from $1000 to $3000). So I don't think they care if you use the card/carry a balance as long as you don't max it out and carry that balance for the long term. Just my experience, and of course, your mileage may vary.

OP (and many others) are years away from scores like that. And $1k starter limit, yeah that's worth writing home about Smiley Tongue

I'm not trying to say Ring is a bad card. On paper, it sounds great, very encouraging. Actual experience in the field is rather disappointing, when all one wants is a card to use at the register. Building on that 10 year history of Capital One usage can pay off for OP.

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.