cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open hole in wallet with closure of Cap1. Want to fill it.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open hole in wallet with closure of Cap1. Want to fill it.

I have an open hole in my wallet because I decided to say good bye to my Cap1 card and AF... I want to apply for one more card but the options are endless.

I only have cash back cards because I have no use for an air miles,hotel, or travel card. Ironically enough i travel a lot for my work but always do better shopping for prices and rates. Anyway I do not really need a balance transfer card so it seems my options are another cash rewards card. Well....... which one??

I want no AF and am pretty flexible otherwise. I would like opinions here. Any and all opinions welcome.

FICOS are in the 660-690 range. I have:
NFCU cash rewards
CHASE freedom
Discover it (toy $1k limit)
Best Buy
Lowes

2 auto loans
LOC
Few closed good standing accounts.
File is pretty thick.
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Open hole in wallet with closure of Cap1. Want to fill it.

Barclay Rewards?

Message 2 of 40
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have an open hole in my wallet because I decided to say good bye to my Cap1 card and AF... I want to apply for one more card but the options are endless.

I only have cash back cards because I have no use for an air miles,hotel, or travel card. Ironically enough i travel a lot for my work but always do better shopping for prices and rates. Anyway I do not really need a balance transfer card so it seems my options are another cash rewards card. Well....... which one??

I want no AF and am pretty flexible otherwise. I would like opinions here. Any and all opinions welcome.

NFCU cash rewards
CHASE freedom
Best Buy
Lowes

2 auto loans
LOC
File is pretty thick.

I would go for a Citi card to get the free EQ FICO score.  That way you get rewards and another free score.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the citi idea.
Message 4 of 40
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU cash rewards
CHASE freedom
Best Buy
Lowes

2 auto loans
LOC
File is pretty thick.

It looks like your non-category spend will be handled by the NFCU at 1.5%, so a 2% card probably doesn't interest you at the moment.

Sallie Mae MasterCard gives 5% cash back at Grocery Stores, Gas Stations and Bookstores (Amazon) capped at $250/$250/$750 spend per month.  https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

An American Express card, such as a BCE would be good if you want to eventually get a high credit limit card, as AmEx gives high limit and CLI requests are soft pulls.

Chase Sapphire Preferred is probably best for you in the short term, assuming you can spend enough to get the signup bonus. Currently thats $4000 over the first 3 months. When I got that card 8 months ago it only required $3000. Anyways, you spend like crazy for 3 months, get the 40,000 points. You don't  travel, so use those as a free $400 signup bonus. Then before the year is up, transfer the credit limit to your Freedom and close the Sapphire before you have to pay the annual fee. I just did this, my Freedom was $6000 , they gave me a $11,900 Sapphire Preferred, so now my Freedom is at $17,900.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 40
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU cash rewards
CHASE freedom
Best Buy
Lowes

2 auto loans
LOC
File is pretty thick.

I would go for a Citi card to get the free EQ FICO score.  That way you get rewards and another free score.

All Citi cards get a FICO score?

Message 6 of 40
NRB525
Super Contributor

Capital One has no AF cash back cards as well. With a good history with them, and a new app for something like the QS (no AF) you may find a better CL.

The AMEX BCE should also be considered. no AF, decent percentages back, and you can grow the CL with the 3x CLI.

For your work travel, are you earning miles on an airline? Points at any hotel chains? If you travel often, those miles/points accumulate fast even if your employer pays the CC bill, and should not be ignored/lost.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 40
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU cash rewards
CHASE freedom
Best Buy
Lowes

2 auto loans
LOC
File is pretty thick.

All Citi cards get a FICO score?

CITI branded cards started giving free FICO Equifax Bankcard scores in January. They are in the range of 250 -990.

My Savingstar card is from FNBO, and they give a free FICO Experian Bankcard score in the range of 250 -990.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for an Amex Blue cash in December and was denied. Said too many inquiries. I have just made 5 apps 2 weeks prior. Didn't want to try them again. Not sure what it takes to get in with them. That would be a good fit.
Message 9 of 40
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for an Amex Blue cash in December and was denied. Said too many inquiries. I have just made 5 apps 2 weeks prior. Didn't want to try them again. Not sure what it takes to get in with them. That would be a good fit.

What are your credit limits and age of each account?

How long did you have the CapOne and what was the limit?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.