Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open new or ask for CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open new or ask for CLI?

DH has a Cap One card that since we went over limit (by like $4), is stuck stubbornly at $1K. He got no credit steps CLI @ 3 months. His 7 month mark will be coming up next month (2/15). It currently has a $50 balance on it.

On a lark, we wanted to see if he apped for another card, what tier he'd get (his scores have risen nearly 100 points since he received his last Cap One card) and he was offered (via the soft-pull pre-qualifier) the card with the $5K max limit (currently, he's on the card with the $3K max limit).

So my question is this: once we close on our house (1/20), should we app him for a new Cap One card? Or should he ask for a CLI?

My thinking is that between the two, he has a better chance of receiving a higher limit CC with them versus a substantially higher CLI. Meaning, even if all he gets is a $1K limit CC, it'd still be higher than the most likely CLI (roughly $500?).

Then, I would assume that we could combine them to keep the age of the original account.

Any opinions? Suggestions?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
preci0uz
Regular Contributor

Re: Open new or ask for CLI?

I think for CAP 1, if you request a CLI, I don't think they'll pull his credit report, so maybe you don't have to wait until 1/202008.

Now, as far as applying for a new card, I wouldn't recommend that, specially since the card will not grow and just be stuck at no more than $5,000.

Does he have any baddies?

Like, Creditaddict suggested, maybe BOFA would be great. With that EXP I would try Chase or maybe dare I say CITI? 

I just love my Chase Freedom and with the rewards (if he gets denied he can always re-con, but his scores look good enough).

That's just my advice Smiley Happy

Message Edited by preci0uz on 01-12-2009 11:02 AM
Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it will cost you a hard on all 3 reports.

I might go for a better bank like BofA 

Message 2 of 7
preci0uz
Regular Contributor

I think for CAP 1, if you request a CLI, I don't think they'll pull his credit report, so maybe you don't have to wait until 1/202008.

Now, as far as applying for a new card, I wouldn't recommend that, specially since the card will not grow and just be stuck at no more than $5,000.

Like, Creditaddict suggested, maybe BOFA would be great. With that EXP I would try Chase or maybe dare I say CITI? 

I just love my Chase Freedom and with the rewards (if he gets denied he can always re-con, but his scores look good enough).

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Preci0uz! Smiley Happy

@preci0uz wrote:

We don't need it NOW, BUT we do want to app for new credit BEFORE the new mortgage gets reported though. Mainly, we're looking at doing some remodeling -- and the last thing I want to do is max out our CCs -- so I thought to increase our available credit.

Yep, that's why we were thinking of pulling the trigger on Cap One. Dh already has a fantastic history with them (aside from the $4 over limit + the over limit fee= $43 over) and he **seemed** to have qualified for a higher tier card. 'Sides, their criteria seems to be a LOT looser than most, so I figured we'd be a shoo-in.

His baddies are (in order of ugliest):

A string of 60, 90, and 120+ lates on a student loan -- went 100% current in Dec '07

5 30 day lates spread throughout 5 years on car note. Last 30 day was April '08

1 paid medical collection (4 years old)

1 unpaid medical collection (4 years old) -- not sure if this is ours

3 COs (Merrick, HSBC and Cap One) 4 years old

1 state tax lien, paid (paid earlier this year, filed in '03)

Believe me, if you think all that is bad, I got oodles MORE bad off his CRs this past year!! Whew!! o_O

BoA has repeatedly denied him. Won't even offer him the 99/500. Smiley Sad

And that's even after he had their Government Travel Charge Card with NO problems or lates.

Citi is who's servicing his current GTCC. Didn't think he'd be approved for an unrestricted card with them ($4K CL with restricted, $7500 for unrestricted), but he did! Yay! 

Really? I keep looking at his scores and keep trying to figure out HOW (other than paying down CCs and NOT being late at ALL) I can raise them HIGHER!! We want to be members of the Gazillion Club! 

Okay, I know there's no such thing, but you get my point! Smiley Wink

Maybe I'm just thinking that the grass is greener on the other side of everyone's FICO. I just can't help but see his scores and ... well, shudder. And think that NO ONE should be taking a risk on us. :/

And I really, really thank you for it!! Smiley Happy

My "Dream Card" is either the JoAnn's Fabrics card or the Quilter's Rewards cards ... both backed by Juniper. Do you think they'd like DH's scores and/or baddies?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

it will cost you a hard on all 3 reports.

I might go for a better bank like BofA 

Thanks for the reply, CreditAddict! Smiley Happy

BoA has already, repeatedly, told DH to take a long walk off a short pier. And that's despite the fact that he had a Government Travel Charge Card with them for over 8 years (Citi now services the GTCC) with PERFECT payment history.

I might? also add that GTCC, no matter who services it, doesn't show up on CRs (since it's a government credit card, it will only show up on his CRs if he's late or defaults). With the $7500 CL he has with them (standard for unrestricted cards), that would have looked nice on his CRs!!! o_O
Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If citi likes you and you need to remodel, I would recommend the Home Depot Card... They will also CLI every 6 months if your using the account and just paying on it, not even paying it off.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Open new or ask for CLI? UPDATE

Okay, we're morons. DH got the "pre-qualified" offer for Cap One card with a max $5K limit and we pushed the button.

It didn't give a CL and just pretty much said that DH's application will be reviewed in order to decide his CL.

OTOH, I *DID* check DH's existing Cap One card and they gave him a $500 CLI early (Credit Steps was supposed to hit next month, not this one). YAY!!

I'm really wondering if he got the application review thingie for the CL for one (or all) of three reasons:
1) Our CU replaced a good-standing auto loan with an old charged off checking account (still haven't fixed it, d@mnit),

2) On the app we said that he now "owns" his home, but since we still have the apt for another two weeks+, we used the apt's addy (we also haven't changed our addy with our creditors, yet -- we'll do that first thing next week) or

3) To keep the CRAs from selling his info (namely, to CAs), we opted-out for him.

Would any/all of those reasons be why Cap One wouldn't let us know what his CL is, immediately?

Our hope is to *immediately* combine the cards and keep the older account (so's to speak). My concern is that once CW hits his CRs, he'll drop and like I said, we do have some remodels that we'd like to be able to do.

And it's a DUH that once we get our $7K tax credit/loan, we'll be paying those puppies off. No long-standing debt for us, thankyouverymuch!! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.