Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open or close accounts.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open or close accounts.

I just recently opened a department store CC to get 50% off the entire purchase. I paid it off the next week. Should I close the account or just keep it open with 0 balance? Will it affect my score either way I go?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Open or close accounts.

You might as well keep it now since its open. If it won't cost you a annual fee in a year then keep it.

Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just recently opened a department store CC to get 50% off the entire purchase. I paid it off the next week. Should I close the account or just keep it open with 0 balance? Will it affect my score either way I go?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.

The effects on your score from a new inquiry, new credit, and a possible lowering of your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) has already happened and closing this account will not change your score at all since it has a zero balance. Even if you close it now it will continue to show on your reports for up to 10 years which will help your AAoA and credit length history.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if it's your only department store card (ie a revolving 'charge account', and not a VISA/MC/AMEX affiliated card), that will help your credit mix, and add a few points to your FICO score.  So leaving it open may be preferable.

Message 4 of 6
sgs10
Regular Contributor

use it as a sock drawer card and make some small purchases now and then prefreably coffee etc. If you close an account it will have impact on your utilization ratio.

Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@sgs10 wrote:

use it as a sock drawer card and make some small purchases now and then prefreably coffee etc. If you close an account it will have impact on your utilization ratio.

Not in every case. You will not be punished by simply closing a CC as long as it is in good standing, has a $0 balance and your cumulative utilization remains at 1-9 %.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.