cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSky Cancel, 10 weeks to refund deposit?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OpenSky Cancel, 10 weeks to refund deposit?!

I just canceled my OpenSky credit card. They told me it could take up to 10 weeks to refund my deposit!!! Has anyone else canceled this card? If so, how long did it take to get your deposit back? Can they legally take that long to refund my money?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OpenSky Cancel, 10 weeks to refund deposit?!

Read the terms and conditions you agreed to when you opened the account.

MANY secured cards want to hold the money at least 60 days to make sure you don't have any autopays that attempt to charge after closure.

10 weeks = 70 days.

Sounds normal to me.  I bet they refund way faster, but who guarantees any future payments you set up on your card that you forgot to close?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They refunded me within 72 hours of cancelling, but that was probably because they had made a mistake that led me to being frustrated and cancelling. They have the ability to refund you quicker.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opensky... I remember them.  I used them to 'rebuild' before I knew this board existed.  It did take a while for me to get my deposit back.  I canceled my card a few years ago.   It took at least a month.  I'd be surprised if it took them the full 10 weeks. 

Message 4 of 8
HRD08
Established Member

I recently closed my account, it took about 6 weeks to get my deposit.

2/18 EQ 726 TU 715 EX 722
Goal 750
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Canceled mine last week. I'm so thankful for what that card did for my 6 month rebuild that I don't care if they EVER send my deposit back!!!
Message 6 of 8
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Did you guys receive any email confirmation or anything about account closure? I called to cancel earlier this week, never received any type of confirmation... Called and cancelled again today 😐🤔 I hope this doesnt turn into a hassle.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just canceled my OpenSky credit card. They told me it could take up to 10 weeks to refund my deposit!!! Has anyone else canceled this card? If so, how long did it take to get your deposit back? Can they legally take that long to refund my money?

I started out with them and closed it within a couple months. It took them too long to credit payments and their communication is not good.  It took about six weeks to get my deposit back. I was glad to get it but didn't care at that point.  They caused me a lot of restlessness the couple months I had the account with them. I was so fixated on making sure everything was paid on time etc., I just didn't like the 10 or more days for credit of payments.

With that said overall it helped my profile to have the account but it wasn't worth the headaches.  Hang in there, you will get your money back soon I hope.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.