Frequent Contributor
creditreformer

Opened Up a USAA Secured 1.5k CC

[ Edited ]

I fired orchard last week even though I didn’t have another cc lined up to replace the 800 cl I’d lose…which made me worry a bit b/c even though orchard’s less than stellar, I can’t really afford to lose cls b/c I don’t have a ton of credit available. But I was tired of orchard and their high AF ($79), no rewards, and only 1 cli in 3 years, so…it was time to break up even if I wasn’t entirely sure how/if I’d be able to replace that cl anytime soon.

About 2 weeks ago, I read about USAA’s secured cc. After getting conflicting messages about whether USAA’s secured cc was open to partial members, I finally got someone @ USAA to email me saying that while it was a pilot program, as a commitment to their service (I’ve been a USAA member for 3-5 years now), they’d mail me an app.

Well, I never got the app in the mail (maybe it’s on its way/they’re backlogged?), so I asked some kind message board members to email me a copy of the app. I worried a little bit b/c I read on CB that a partial USAA member mailed the app in but USAA still denied them b/c they said the cc wasn’t open to partial members + that USAA said they mailed the person the app in error. I also worried that even though USAA says they don’t check credit for the secured cc, I’d get turned down b/c of an old tax lien b/c I’ve been denied secured ccs b/c of the tax lien before.

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to wire $1.5k to USAA (max CL allowed on the secured cc) + then fax in the secured app. I included a copy of the email that USAA sent me saying they’d mail me the secure app b/c I figured if they saw that email, I’d have a better shot @ getting the cc.

This a.m., I logged into USAA + bam, my 1.5k cd is set up + bam, my USAA secured 1.5k secured cc is set up online! Dang, that was FAST + yet another reason why I love USAA. It's my highest CL to date + while it's nothing to brag about compared to some of the high rollers here, it's a big deal for me + I hope it unsecures in a year.

Next goal: Join NFCU + get a 5k secured loan + 5k secured cc (NFCU "1-2 punch").

Message Edited by creditreformer on 03-04-2010 09:37 AM
Established Contributor
MsKiwi

Re: Opened Up a USAA Secured 1.5k CC

Congrats!
Frequent Contributor
creditreformer

Re: Opened Up a USAA Secured 1.5k CC

Thanks; I’m excited b/c it’s my highest cl + it seems like a good way to get my foot in the door w/USAA credit wise.  Plus, the $’s locked in a cd, so will earn interest/forces me to save, which is always nice.  Lastly, USAA has been absolutely fantastic w/all my accounts I’ve had w/them- such nice, responsive CS reps.  I can’t praise them highly enough.

I’m not quite ready for top/mega prime ccs like chase, discover, citi (my ficos are only in the mid-high 600s; still have some old baddies), so USAA secured (+ hopefully nfcu soon) should help me ‘get to that next step’ credit wise + maybe some ccs w/decent cls will come my way someday.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+