cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened up a credit card, was approved, then they closed my account, will this hurt my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opened up a credit card, was approved, then they closed my account, will this hurt my credit?

So I opened up a new Capital One credit card and I received it in the mail. I called customer service to activate my card, I got some lady who spoke broken English and couldn't understand me, so I hung up and went about my usual business. This was on November 27th.

I tried again today to activate my card and was told there was a restriction on my account. The gentleman asked me to confirm my identity with a few questions, I correctly answered them and he then said my account was open and ready to go.

I went online to create a user ID, it told me I still had a restriction. I called up again and the agent told me my account was closed because someone called up on November 27th saying they were me and saying this account is fraudulent. I asked to speak to a manager, and the manager told me the same thing. They received a call from someone who was able to confirm my identity asked to have the account closed. They could do nothing for me.

I'm assuming this is a huge mistake on their part. I never dealt with any identity theft, and if someone knew all of my personal information, I doubt they would be closing accounts and saying they never opened such an account. I'm assuming the incompetent lady I spoke to on November 27th somehow closed my account.

I'm over it and will open up a credit card with another bank tomorrow. My question is,  applying, being approved for and having my card closed, will this hurt me in any way. Specifically my credit score?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Opened up a credit card, was approved, then they closed my account, will this hurt my credit?

It will lower your average account age, since you will now need to add an another account and only one month. You should appeal the closure, call recon or the executive offices for resolution.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opened up a credit card, was approved, then they closed my account, will this hurt my credit?

How should I recon? The account manager told me the only thing I can do is reapply for another credit card.

Message 3 of 14
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

I'm very sorry to hear that they closed your account.  It sounds like the phone call that ended with you hanging up created this mess.  There is nothing they can do for you once the account is closed.  If you were dealing with one of their less desirable credit cards, I recommend moving on.  I feel they would put a little more effort in correcting the problem if it was for one of their higher end cards.  To answer your question- yes this hurts your credit for the fallowing reasons. 

You gained a  credit inquiry to open the account that is now useless.

Your score usually goes down temporarily due to opening new credit.

These effects are minimal compared to the bigger picture.  May I ask what your credit scores are and a little briefing on your overall credit history?  Maybe we can help you find a great card.

Thanks,

Shaun

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit score, last time I checked, was 754. I'm in my young 20's, so my credit history is only a few years old, but never a late payment and I have the four following cards. I just paid off $15,000 in student loans, my credit utilization is about 6%.

Macy's American Express

Kohl's Charge

Bank of America Platinum Rewards

Bank of America Gold

From my experience, I never want to become a Capital One customer. I've dealt with Bank of America and my Macy's American express customer service, I'm happy with them, I'm easy to please. I was looking for a new card, with cash rewards and some kind of intro APR. I'm not a high income earner nor a big spender, so the benefits of a card with an annual fee wouldn't do me much good. I'm thinking about opening a bank of America Cash rewards. My current BOA cards have a pretty low APR, and I'm happy with their customer service.

Message 5 of 14
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

That's a great credit profile.  I would avoid capital one until your credit length history supports one of their prime cards. I would recommend either converting one of you BoA cards or applying for the AMEX blue everyday cash or possibly a chase freedom.

Good luck

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just dealt with BOA customer service a few minutes ago with a quick question, the lady was super friendly and super helpful. My encounter today with Capital One reminds me of those Discover commercials with the "my name is peggy", they kept transfering me to people who couldn't help. I'm thinking about a new BOA card, I've been with them since 2008 and I never had a complaint, banking with BOA, that's another story.

I'm thinking about the new cash rewards card. Along with doing this, should I ask for a credit line increase on my other cards I had since 2008? One has a limit of $4,000 and the other is $7,500? 

Message 7 of 14
sandsanta
Contributor

I'm sorry I think I missed something.  You weren't able to communicate with the CSR on the 27th so you didn't try again until today, ten days later?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was unable to communicate with the CSR on the 27th. All I wanted to do was activate the card, I wasn't aware of these problems until today. I waited 10 days, mainly because I'm very busy and there was no immediate need to use the card. This might not have been the right decision, but it's what I did.

Anyway, despite the slight ding in my score, I'm happy i'm no longer a Captial One customer. I expect good customer service, they didn't provide me with that, so I move on.

Message 9 of 14
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

I have the Boa cash rewards card and do like it.  I would try and have an existing BoA card converted into this.  By doing this, it would save you the inquiry and the status of a new account opening....Kind making it a wash with the whole capital one thing.  Also, wait until they approve the new card to ask for CLI due to the fact that you will likely get more credit in the card than any CLI and can transfer some of the credit line to another card.

What exactly was the point of the previous comment on why you waited 10 days?? SILLY

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.