cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened up a credit card, was approved, then they closed my account, will this hurt my credit?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Opened up a credit card, was approved, then they closed my account, will this hurt my credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

I was unable to communicate with the CSR on the 27th. All I wanted to do was activate the card, I wasn't aware of these problems until today. I waited 10 days, mainly because I'm very busy and there was no immediate need to use the card. This might not have been the right decision, but it's what I did.

Anyway, despite the slight ding in my score, I'm happy i'm no longer a Captial One customer. I expect good customer service, they didn't provide me with that, so I move on.

Unfortunately, your experience w/Cap One is typical -- based on my exp w/them since March. If you wanted to try and reopen the acct., I'd suggest trying some of the Backdoor # on the sticky (you can get through to someone who speaks English). But I think you have a pretty healthy attitude, and in the long run it won't hurt your score. Personally, I think they're more trouble than they're worth, but I am grateful because they do provide rebuilders an opportunity that other CCs don't.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 11 of 14
Established Contributor

Re: Opened up a credit card, was approved, then they closed my account, will this hurt my credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway, despite the slight ding in my score,

(1) I'm happy i'm no longer a Captial One customer.

I expect good customer service, they didn't provide me with that,

(2) so I move on.

(1) You should be happy

that you didn't start a long relationship with that company.

Cap One is trying to pretend to be a prime card issuer. I think they still have a long way to go. Just because Cap 1 wants to court people with higher credit scores, doesn't mean it is a first class act. Your situation demonstrates that. Sure any card company can mistreat you, but Cap 1 has a history of saying NO ! 

Cap 1 seems to actually be proud of a take no prisoners reputation Smiley Surprised The Cap 1 commercials features characters who have a reputation of raping and pillaging wherever they went.

These days some people feel that they are being raped & pillaged by the banks. Just what is Cap1 bragging about in its commercials?  Maybe the CSR who closed your account was just watching too many Cap1 commercials Smiley Tongue.

I think that the original CSR was perhaps trying to teach you a lesson. I am surprised that Cap one wasn't concerned that its CSRs could make those kind of "mistakes" accidentally or on purpose. This could very well be a case that should be posted on Planetfeedback.

I would definitely have Cap1 remove any (closed) tradeline if it ends up on your credit reports. If the account was never activated, then it was never open, and I would demand that the tradeline be removed from any credit reports in which it might appear. If you get stuck with it on your reports, it definitely would be PlanetFeedBack time Smiley Wink .

(2) There is definitely better customer service out there.

I used to complain (years ago) about the way Chase behaved. These days, Chase has made remarkable progress with outstanding customer service. Chase is opening up new baking locations all over the place. They are hiring people while BofA is laying people off. Chase is even prioritizing the hiring of recent returning veterans. I would say that having a relationship with BofA and a bank like Chase is a way to get great customer service from both. I have been playing Chase against BofA for years. Both banks treat me great.

I would never dream of apping for Cap 1 because of its less than stellar customer service history

Message 12 of 14
IowaGuy
Contributor

If they claim the account was not opened by you, then they are obligated to remove it from your credit reports.
700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 13 of 14
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you on that  IowaGuy.  What goes around comes back around.  I think the lady closed her account because she could get away with it . Good luck !

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.