Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a credit card in my name

tag
cmcquitter
New Visitor

Opening a credit card in my name

Yes I'm deployed and I found out that my soon to be ex wife has open an credit card in my name. I was wondering if I could file charges against here because she not my POA.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Opening a credit card in my name

Yes, you can and probably should.

Sorry to hear things have turned bad as such, and I wish you luck, but definitely get her in trouble before she does a number on your credit.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@cmcquitter wrote:

Yes I'm deployed and I found out that my soon to be ex wife has open an credit card in my name. I was wondering if I could file charges against here because she not my POA.

Welcome to the forums although I wish it was under better circumstances.

First of all I thank you for your service.

What this person did is fraud and you need to jump right on this because I'm pretty sure she has probably already started using this card. You don't say what branch of the service you are but talk to the legal office and see what your options are. I know being overseas makes it that much worse.

If possible contact the issuer of the card and explain what is going on and see if they can help you in any way. I hope this turns out for the best for you.

Stay safe.

Message 3 of 5
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@cmcquitter wrote:

CM, I agree with Marine.  You need to get on this sooner rather than later as you do not want to be held responsible for those charges.  You may also want to pull your credit report to see if any other items have been opened in your name with out your knowledge and put a fraud alert on your credit so that there are additional steps that have to be taken prior to credit being opened in your name.  Contact the card issuer immediate and speak with their fraud department and have that account closed and whiped off of your record.  Keep us informed and we will try to assist as best as we can.  Thank you!

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Tazman81 wrote:

CM, I agree with Marine.  You need to get on this sooner rather than later as you do not want to be held responsible for those charges.  You may also want to pull your credit report to see if any other items have been opened in your name with out your knowledge and put a fraud alert on your credit so that there are additional steps that have to be taken prior to credit being opened in your name.  Contact the card issuer immediate and speak with their fraud department and have that account closed and whiped off of your record.  Keep us informed and we will try to assist as best as we can.  Thank you!

Excellent advice!!!

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.