cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a third credit card for a 21 year old - worth it or avoid it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opening a third credit card for a 21 year old - worth it or avoid it?

I have two credit cards - a Discover card I've had since 2012 and an American Express card since August of last year. My FICO score (according to Discover) is 759.

I'm wondering if it would be wise to open another credit card at this point or if I should sit with the two I have for a while. My AAoA is only about 2 years and I know opening a new card will drop that (and probably my credit score, too).

Any advice? If yes, any suggestions for a card with good rewards for dining/entertainment redeemable on travel? The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card has caught my eye for that but I figured I'd see if anyone else has a suggestion with similar benefits.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
surehit
Regular Contributor

Re: Opening a third credit card for a 21 year old - worth it or avoid it?

I'm personally a huge fan of my CSP, definitely the card I use for pretty much everything unless I have another card that gets significantly better rewards in that category. The Chase Freedom wouldn't be a bad choice to start with if you have any concerns about getting approved though. 

AMEX Platinum Gold - NPSL | Citi ThankYou Premiere 20k | NASA Platinum Rewards - 20k | Alaska Airlines Visa Signature - 5k x 5 (Not sure why I needed 5.... but still....) | Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 21K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 15K | Ritz Carlton Card - 10k | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - 5k | BECU Visa - 3k |Barclaycard Rewards - 2k | Chase Amazon Rewards - 1k | Discover IT Student - 500 | Chase Slate - 500 | Walmart Store Card - 700 | BBY CitiBank - 1500 | BBY CitiBank -1000

Eq (MyFico) 767 | TU (FICO) 759 | Ex (FAKO): 749
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could be wrong, but did you post this earlier today? i remember reading it

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@surehit wrote:

I'm personally a huge fan of my CSP, definitely the card I use for pretty much everything unless I have another card that gets significantly better rewards in that category. The Chase Freedom wouldn't be a bad choice to start with if you have any concerns about getting approved though. 

Speculating, does it seem that my chances of getting approved would be high? Credit is perfect, no missed payments, low utilization, and relatively high score for this point in my life. Income is $32k. Any ideas?

Also, I did post earlier today regarding a different issue but included some similar information in my post, which might be why it seems familiar!

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend going for the Barclay Arrival+ ! (lower AF)

And yes, I think you should get a third...I'm 18 and I have 3, lol. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your credit limits?

I think a file with only 2 cards on it is too thin. About 5-6 well managed accounts would be better.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What are your credit limits?

I think a file with only 2 cards on it is too thin. About 5-6 well managed accounts would be better.

$7,500 with AmEx and $2,000 with Discover. Just recently requested CLIs on both accounts, pretty sure I was denied for the AmEx CLI as I received the 7-10 day wait notice, and I just requested one for Discover today and was told to wait two business days.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

thin and clean files are fine don't worry
Message 8 of 19
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

It depends. Do you need another card? And willl the reward structure benefit you in anyway? I am 22 and I have 8 cards. But they all work well with my spending patterns. So whatever 3rd card you're going to get, get it because it adds value to your portfolio. Blindly applying just for the sake of applying is not worth it IMO. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Youd probably get approved for the freedom no sweat but its the same bank pulling report so go for the one you want. Check prequal? Id get the freedom anyway as we see time and time again discussed here  they are good together with the points. If you tire of csp and it's not a fit, you then have a well established freedom to move credit limits to.

I expect to see an approved thread started from you tomorrow. Now go play. (because i cant)

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.