cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening cards just for mileage bonus

tag
myFlightco

Opening cards just for mileage bonus

Hi everyone - wondering what the general consensus here is about opening a card that has a great ~50,000 bonus miles sign-on bonus.  I estimate that this would save me about $1,100 over the next year.  The effect on my credit score, far as I can tell, would be another inquiry (had one last May) and lowering the AAoA.

I can live with the additional inquiry - won't need credit until +1 year at the earliest, and at that point I will only have one inquiry and some negative accounts roll off, so will net be higher than my current 750 score.

The AAoA - looking at my Equifax report, there are so many accounts on there that were either moved or the CC company closed and reopened for no reason that I am not sure it will marginally make a large difference.  There are 8 cc accounts on there with less than 10 years passing since they were opened, only three of which are currently open (activity before I started being careful about my credit).

So I pose the question - open another account for the miles and possibly cancel account within a year, since after one year the annual fee is $100 - or just pass on the card?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Opening cards just for mileage bonus

It's up to you. I suppose you are referring to the UA or AA card?

Some lenders don't mind as much about customers churning bonuses. Some do. It really depends on the lender.

Certain lenders may flag you in their systems if you been opening accounts solely for sign-up bonuses and therefore disqualify you for any sign-up promos in your future applications. It does take quite a bit of abuse to even get to that point though...

If it's just a couple cards, go ahead and do it if you think its worthwhile.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 16
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Think about whether you plan on using the card beyond the first year prior to applying for it. Lenders know that many people will sign up just for the bonuses, and thus often require spending minimums to be met before the bonus gets applied. Spending limits ensure that you use the card enough to become fairly invested in the rewards system they have instead of using your other cards. 

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 3 of 16
myFlightco

I don't plan on using the card that much.. nor am I overly concerned about whether or not I will get approved.  Just fretting over the score impact and the general idea of opening cards for bonuses.. it feels strange to do it since it is not sustainable BUT it is a real $ savings.  How much is a temporary ding to credit worth?  Probably less than $1,000.

Message 4 of 16
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@myFlightco wrote:

Hi everyone - wondering what the general consensus here is about opening a card that has a great ~50,000 bonus miles sign-on bonus.  I estimate that this would save me about $1,100 over the next year.  The effect on my credit score, far as I can tell, would be another inquiry (had one last May) and lowering the AAoA.

I can live with the additional inquiry - won't need credit until +1 year at the earliest, and at that point I will only have one inquiry and some negative accounts roll off, so will net be higher than my current 750 score.

The AAoA - looking at my Equifax report, there are so many accounts on there that were either moved or the CC company closed and reopened for no reason that I am not sure it will marginally make a large difference.  There are 8 cc accounts on there with less than 10 years passing since they were opened, only three of which are currently open (activity before I started being careful about my credit).

So I pose the question - open another account for the miles and possibly cancel account within a year, since after one year the annual fee is $100 - or just pass on the card?

Welcome to myFICO and the best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I have done this many many times for points, mileage, etc.  I did it with Bank of America 3 separate times and closed all 3 cards a year later.  I did it with Amex for the Hilton Surpass and the Gold card and canceled both a year later.  I did it with the Chase Sapphire and United card, however, I kept those.  All of these have annual fees.  I did it with three separate Citi cards, all for points, however I kept those open as well.  I never had a negative reaction from any of them, and all of them I just met the minimum spend and never charged on them again (except for the CSP and United, which I kept).

They put those generous offers out there to entice you to apply for their card.  Of course, they're hoping you keep it but that's completely up to you!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 16
myFlightco

Thanks, clocktick, for the thoughtful reply.

Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@myFlightco wrote:

I don't plan on using the card that much.. nor am I overly concerned about whether or not I will get approved.  Just fretting over the score impact and the general idea of opening cards for bonuses.. it feels strange to do it since it is not sustainable BUT it is a real $ savings.  How much is a temporary ding to credit worth?  Probably less than $1,000.

Actually, with the large number of lenders it is quite sustainable, and some old hands here rely on bonuses as the way to get rewards (nearly always more valuable than the rewards available through actual card use).   Don't hit any issuer too often, and don't close straight after meeting the spend (wait till near the AF) and you will fine.

When it becomes an issue, the issuers change their rules: e.g. Chase clamping down on what constitutes a different card, and Citi cutting down churning by requiring more waiting time between apps.

So I wouldn't even worry about it, you have correctly determined that the score impacts are small.  And who knows, you may end up loving the card.  Probably not, but that is what the issuer hopes!

Message 8 of 16
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@myFlightco wrote:

I apped on 1/6 for the Chase SWA Visa for this reason.  I received the card about a week later but just used it for the first time yesterday.  I can pay my rent which exceeds the $2k spending criteria with VISA for a $19.95 fee.  The inquiry has reported to the CAs the new Trade Line has not, I expect it to update sometime this week now that I have used the card.

I can reply back or Private Message you when I see it hit my report and let you know the impact.

PRE SWA Card reporting:

Current AAoA is around 3.5 years, it was over 6 years prior to an App Spree in December.

Current UTIL - 26%, it was zero back in Dec

Current Score - 691, it was 702 or 703 back before the App Spree, new Trade Lines and increased UTIL

POST SWA Card reporting:

???

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 9 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@myFlightco wrote:

One of the main reasons I get credit cards is the sign up offers (other cards I will get for long term rewards/benefits). Some of the AF cards I will keep in the long run (or I will PC to a non-AF version). Others I will close if they do not serve my needs. If a card will serve your needs for the first year then get it. Who knows maybe they will give you a retention offer making the AF worthwhile. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.