cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening new accounts and how will they affect scoring?

tag
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Opening new accounts and how will they affect scoring?

I have 5 new accounts reporting (opened between Oct 2009 and Feb 2010) and my scores took about a 30-40 point hit initially.  They are rebounding back now but I keep my utilization pretty low (less than 5%).  Scores were in the 780-790 range before spree and 750-760 ranger right after.  I'm almost back to 780.  I think the secret is to keep your util low AND of course letting them age a bit helps a lot too.  It is kind of interesting to see how your scores adjust as your usage of credit changes.  The important thing to remember is that a FICO score is a mechanism to use for making financial decisions.  It shouldn't be obsessed over to any great degree as it will truly drive you crazy.  If your score isn't going to work for what you need it for then you have to devote some time into improving it.

I wouldn't fret over the new accounts.  Enjoy them for what they bring to your life and make them work for you.  Thats the real reason we use them.  Plus, I love all the discounts and free $$ some of these cards give you.  Makes those shopping excursions a little less painful Smiley Very Happy

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 11 of 19
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

I have 5 new accounts reporting (opened between Oct 2009 and Feb 2010) and my scores took about a 30-40 point hit initially.  They are rebounding back now but I keep my utilization pretty low (less than 5%).  Scores were in the 780-790 range before spree and 750-760 ranger right after.  I'm almost back to 780.  I think the secret is to keep your util low AND of course letting them age a bit helps a lot too.  It is kind of interesting to see how your scores adjust as your usage of credit changes.  The important thing to remember is that a FICO score is a mechanism to use for making financial decisions.  It shouldn't be obsessed over to any great degree as it will truly drive you crazy.  If your score isn't going to work for what you need it for then you have to devote some time into improving it.

I wouldn't fret over the new accounts.  Enjoy them for what they bring to your life and make them work for you.  Thats the real reason we use them.  Plus, I love all the discounts and free $$ some of these cards give you.  Makes those shopping excursions a little less painful Smiley Very Happy

All valid points, and I agree 100% that obsessing over a FICO score is pointless as its will vary and change over the years as people lives change. 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 12 of 19
jeffery581
Established Contributor

"I just opened 6 new CC accounts. Yes, I am obviously insane...."

To Funny.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ngerasimatos wrote:

I just opened 6 new CC accounts. Yes, I am obviously insane....

Bad news for me... I think that means I'm double-insane this month. 

Message 14 of 19
piecesofme

"Hello,

I had one cc, an orchard mc with a 320cl for 9 months.PIF every month.   EQ 710  TU  717  EX (FICO)  744.   In November was denied for chase disney visa and sears.  Stupidly got mad, went on app spree.  Got approved for 9 new accounts, including chase sapphire 5000cl, HSBC plat. 6500cl, cabelas 1500cl and macys, kohls, target, walmart, jc penny, best buy mc."

3 HSBC cards in one year? I didn't think that was possible.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ngerasimatos wrote:

Oldest account was opened
9 Years, 9 Months ago

Average age of your accounts
4 years

Super - was that 4 years AAofA before or after the apping?  If it was before, what is it after?

Hey - and congrats on your 700 scores - very nice!

Message 16 of 19
Pushto700
Frequent Contributor

@piecesofme wrote:

"Hello,

I had one cc, an orchard mc with a 320cl for 9 months.PIF every month.   EQ 710  TU  717  EX (FICO)  744.   In November was denied for chase disney visa and sears.  Stupidly got mad, went on app spree.  Got approved for 9 new accounts, including chase sapphire 5000cl, HSBC plat. 6500cl, cabelas 1500cl and macys, kohls, target, walmart, jc penny, best buy mc."

3 HSBC cards in one year? I didn't think that was possible.

Yep. My fiancee' got an:

-Orchard HSBC (300 CL) in November 2009

-David's Bridal (1500 CL) in December 2009

-Best Buy MC (500 CL, no AF) in March 2010

Her most derogatory item recently came off (C/O) when the company could not prove the DOFD date we challenged, because they (Mervyn's/GEMB) couldn't prove the date they were reporting (which by our account was two years earlier than  they were reporting). So when that came off, the previous Orchard denial was approved. Then others came in. I have active C/O's (2) on my report and was denied outright by Orchard for an unsecured. So I piggybacked off my fiancess and made it a joint (she doesn't want the card anyway...so basically it's mine with both of our names on the account and reporting history), and an AU on the Best Buy (saw it report to Experian today on my CR as an AU, hers as an individual acct). So there are ways to get around these denials.

She has 3 HSBC products in less than 4 full months.  

Starting Score: TU: ?-- EQ: ?--EX 560 (8-08)
Current Score: TU: 671 (3-10) 625 (4-10/Rebucketed)--EQ: 674 (3-10)--EX 630 (Lender 11-09)
Goal Score: TU: 750--EQ: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 19
bobtail
Regular Contributor

Yes,

Orchard Bank   2/10

HSBC Plat MC   11/10

Best Buy              11/10

Message 18 of 19
piecesofme

Interesting.  I just recently received a Best Buy MC and had not applied for an HSBC because everyone says you have to wait 18 months to get another one.  So, after reading the last few posts, I tried.  I got the preaproval for the Platinum Visa and pulled the trigger.  Reason for denial was that I had recently been approved for another account with them. 

Go figure.  Wasted a hard pull.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.