cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening up multiple shared secured accounts? Will it help or hurt?

tag
nafelix89

Opening up multiple shared secured accounts? Will it help or hurt?

I already have an shared secured account with my local credit union and it has been helping my credit little by little. Its been about 2 years since I've opened the account.

I was wondering If I was able to open up maybe 1 or 2 more shared securred accounts would that boost my credit score a lot? Or would it end up hurting my credit because I have multiple accounts open?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Opening up multiple shared secured accounts? Will it help or hurt?

It will hurt your scores temporarily because of new accounts being reported, which lowers your AAoA in return. However in the long run having more accounts reporting positive history is going to be more beneficial.

What are your scores like currently? If your scores has improved by quite a bit, you can start considering partially secured cards, or unsecured cards as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
nafelix89

My scores are 664, 663, and 647. WIth a history of 90 days late payment.

Message 3 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 7
nafelix89

whats a util?

Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 7
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Percentage of what you owe on you cc over total credit limit Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.