Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on Amex Clear?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Opinion on Amex Clear?

How does this card stack up to the Amex Blue cards?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ajh5408
Contributor

Re: Opinion on Amex Clear?

With BCE/BCP on the market, it's just not worth it... Fees are somewhat lower, but if you're fee-averse to begin with, it's just a straight 1% card with the odd quirk that rewards are automatically distributed months after you earn them in the form of $25 AMEX gift cards.

Also, the experience of most posters has been that you can't PC a Clear card into any other product, so if you get it, you're stuck with it.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex Clear is useless compared to the BCE/BCP.  The rewards are terrible and it doesn't even waive all fees (forex fees are still charged).  If you are the type to incur the fees that are waived by this card, Amex isn't for you.

Message 3 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think the rewards are better w BCE even though the Clear does look pwetty :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 7
TheConductor
Established Contributor

If you are the type to incur the fees that are waived by this card, Amex isn't for you.

This is the crux of it right here.  It's such a weird product for that very reason...why would Amex have a product that is really only going to appeal to the kind of customer Amex doesn't want?  If you're constantly doing cash advances on credit, paying late, and going over your limit, then yeah, it's a great card. And Amex doesn't want you for it. Smiley LOL

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

How does this card stack up to the Amex Blue cards?

Clear is your garden variety basic AMEX card.  As others have noted, bennies with the other AMEX products are superior.  I chose the Clear card primarily since I didn't need any sort of significant rewards program, was more interested in the brand, and more importantly, to add my kids as additional card-holders.  They have their own cards, own card number tied to mine, and they get my history with AMEX.  Good basic card to start kids out, so you can monitor their activities before letting them go on their own.  Plus, they thought the cards were really cool looking !

Message 6 of 7
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I honestly have no idea why anyone would choose the clear over the Blue Cash Everyday. It's an all around better card. The BCP annual fee pays for itself pretty quickly if you buy 50 bucks of groceries per week or so

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.