Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on my new card

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Opinion on my new card

Congratulations on your first American Express card! Even if it is not a card you're going to use much, it is always helpful to get your foot in the door with American Express, since any denied application in the future will not result in a hard inquiry on your credit report. You can apply for another American Express - issued card any time you want; I don't think they care as long as you have the income to support the credit limit. I obtained all my 3 American Express - issued cards within 3 months. 

Message 11 of 45

So if I wanted to apply for the AMEX Blue cash card, would it be a good idea?

AMEX Gold *NPSL*, AMEX BCE $9,900, AMEX Delta Gold $2,000, Premier Bank $300
Message 12 of 45
myjourney
Super Contributor

@86 wrote:

So if I wanted to apply for the AMEX Blue cash card, would it be a good idea?

Now is as good as time as any in most cases and YMMV its recorded as the same pull again YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 45
HiLine
Blogger

I don't know ... it's past midnight on the East Coast, and I don't know which time zone the CRA's function on...

Message 14 of 45
HiLine
Blogger

Generally an inquiry made the next day will not be combined with the previous inquiry, so your second application would result in another inquiry regardless of the application result. If you are willing to wait for the new account to be created before applying for the second card, if you're denied you will not receive another inquiry.

Message 15 of 45
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@86 wrote:

Well to be honest I don't care for airline rewards, I just wanted an AMEX card, and was afraid at going for anything higher I guess. I never even fly.  I assume the card is accepted everywhere AMEX is, for any type of purchase, right? -Maybe an ignorant question.

Congrats on your AX! ....but I do not understand that people apply for cards they have no use for the benefits Smiley Surprised

Message 16 of 45

^ Lets just say we are happy to get in the door. I spent a long time rebuilding, so you could give me a card for benefits from the Iraq Disco Club, and I'd still take it. Smiley Happy

AMEX Gold *NPSL*, AMEX BCE $9,900, AMEX Delta Gold $2,000, Premier Bank $300
Message 17 of 45
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@86 wrote:

^ Lets just say we are happy to get in the door. I spent a long time rebuilding, so you could give me a card for benefits from the Iraq Disco Club, and I'd still take it. Smiley Happy

Hey 86!

Welcome to the FICO forums!

Congrats on your approval.  Don't mind what some have to say about your approval or app.  I think sometimes, we forget what brought us here in the first place.  Smiley Happy

I know exactly how you feel getting in with Amex.  Because there are better cards suited to your spending habits other then travel rewards... you might want to ask the forum for advice on your next apps.  Please read your welcome package on your Delta card and try to hit the spend requirement for the bonus miles.  You never know... even though you don't fly now... with the bonus miles awarded, free checked bagage allotment and other perks... you may find yourself on a vacation trip some time next year.  Did you get the 30K miles offer with a $750 spend requirement?  If so... make sure you spend that $750 in the next 3 months.  Smiley Happy  Again... welcome and congrats!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 18 of 45
enharu
Super Contributor

@86 wrote:

What's done is already done. Don't worry about it.

I would recommend however that you try to get the card changed to something that benefits you. If they're not willing to do it, you can always apply for something else in the meantime, and then try change this card 13 months from now.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 45
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'm sorry but I have to agree with LS. Although I congratulate OP for getting the foot in the door with Amex- I can't understand the wisdom of applying for a card and the first question you ask is. 'Is this a good card for me'? Honestly, a person should have some use for a cc instead of one that has lackluster rewards and the OP doesn't even fly.

It is not wise to rush out an app for a cc that really doesn't benefit you when if the OP had asked or researched any of the previous threads about Amex Revolvers, chances are an approval for a more useful and rewarding cc would proven more beneficial.

OP,
Again,congratulations on your approval but next time a little bit of research/educating yourself on cc's and what works for YOU would be prudent.
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.