Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Blogger

Re: Opinion on my new card

Congratulations on your first American Express card! Even if it is not a card you're going to use much, it is always helpful to get your foot in the door with American Express, since any denied application in the future will not result in a hard inquiry on your credit report. You can apply for another American Express - issued card any time you want; I don't think they care as long as you have the income to support the credit limit. I obtained all my 3 American Express - issued cards within 3 months. 

So if I wanted to apply for the AMEX Blue cash card, would it be a good idea?

AMEX Gold *NPSL*, AMEX BCE $9,900, AMEX Delta Gold $2,000, Premier Bank $300
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

86 wrote:

So if I wanted to apply for the AMEX Blue cash card, would it be a good idea?

Now is as good as time as any in most cases and YMMV its recorded as the same pull again YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Blogger

I don't know ... it's past midnight on the East Coast, and I don't know which time zone the CRA's function on...

Blogger

Generally an inquiry made the next day will not be combined with the previous inquiry, so your second application would result in another inquiry regardless of the application result. If you are willing to wait for the new account to be created before applying for the second card, if you're denied you will not receive another inquiry.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

86 wrote:

Well to be honest I don't care for airline rewards, I just wanted an AMEX card, and was afraid at going for anything higher I guess. I never even fly.  I assume the card is accepted everywhere AMEX is, for any type of purchase, right? -Maybe an ignorant question.

Congrats on your AX! ....but I do not understand that people apply for cards they have no use for the benefits Smiley Surprised

Move the mouse over the cards for detailed view!
.. Last HP 05 JAN 2016 ..

^ Lets just say we are happy to get in the door. I spent a long time rebuilding, so you could give me a card for benefits from the Iraq Disco Club, and I'd still take it. Smiley Happy

AMEX Gold *NPSL*, AMEX BCE $9,900, AMEX Delta Gold $2,000, Premier Bank $300
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

86 wrote:

^ Lets just say we are happy to get in the door. I spent a long time rebuilding, so you could give me a card for benefits from the Iraq Disco Club, and I'd still take it. Smiley Happy

Hey 86!

Welcome to the FICO forums!

Congrats on your approval.  Don't mind what some have to say about your approval or app.  I think sometimes, we forget what brought us here in the first place.  Smiley Happy

I know exactly how you feel getting in with Amex.  Because there are better cards suited to your spending habits other then travel rewards... you might want to ask the forum for advice on your next apps.  Please read your welcome package on your Delta card and try to hit the spend requirement for the bonus miles.  You never know... even though you don't fly now... with the bonus miles awarded, free checked bagage allotment and other perks... you may find yourself on a vacation trip some time next year.  Did you get the 30K miles offer with a $750 spend requirement?  If so... make sure you spend that $750 in the next 3 months.  Smiley Happy  Again... welcome and congrats!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K

Super Contributor

86 wrote:

What's done is already done. Don't worry about it.

I would recommend however that you try to get the card changed to something that benefits you. If they're not willing to do it, you can always apply for something else in the meantime, and then try change this card 13 months from now.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).

I'm sorry but I have to agree with LS. Although I congratulate OP for getting the foot in the door with Amex- I can't understand the wisdom of applying for a card and the first question you ask is. 'Is this a good card for me'? Honestly, a person should have some use for a cc instead of one that has lackluster rewards and the OP doesn't even fly.

It is not wise to rush out an app for a cc that really doesn't benefit you when if the OP had asked or researched any of the previous threads about Amex Revolvers, chances are an approval for a more useful and rewarding cc would proven more beneficial.

OP,
Again,congratulations on your approval but next time a little bit of research/educating yourself on cc's and what works for YOU would be prudent.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.