Frequent Contributor

Re: Opinion on my new card

What's done is done people, certain people should keep their insults to themselves.  Congrats on your AMEX OP!!

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Regular Contributor

Congrats on getting your foot in the door OP!! I considered taking the same route as you but there were members who told me that since the card I really want is the BCP, (I spend over $700/mo on groceries), I should apply for that instead of a charge card I have no use for just so I could get my foot in the door. I'm taking that advice and will apply for the BCP soon.

Also, just so you know that you're not alone, so to speak, I have read posts on this forum of people who want "in" with Amex or any other "prestigious" card just for the status and to be in the Amex "club". They were not concerned about any benefits whatsoever! I say "do you" and if you find it to be a "mistake" then lesson learned and you do better next go around.

For what it's worth, I also think you should PC your card to one that truly benefits you so that you're not leaving free money on the table. Much success to you!
iPhone. iTypos. iApologize.

Current Score: EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 739 EX FICO 743
Goal Score: 800 Gardening since 6/2014 but haven't been active on the board
Super Contributor

webhopper wrote:

Although, a Delta skymiles card is better than a capital one platinum so in that sense, you have arrived "credit-wise"

Well, if the Cap One gives 1%+ cash back, that might be more useful than Delta miles if you don't use them!

Super Contributor

dabrian wrote:

What's done is done people, certain people should keep their insults to themselves.  Congrats on your AMEX OP!!

Given the thread is "Opinion on my new card" that does seem to invite people to give opinions, which can include comments of the form that this was not the best idea.  To inform others, for example....

Moderator Emeritus

dabrian wrote:

I haven't really seen anything here that insults the OP... rather the posters in this thread have been making general observations that are not directed at any particular person.

For what its worth, the OP could have done a lot worse in his selection, so I think the OP is going to be just fine.  Maybe OP will learn how to use his miles and take a trip somewhere cool that he wouldnt have otherwise been able to go.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor

webhopper wrote:

dabrian wrote:

I haven't really seen anything here that insults the OP... rather the posters in this thread have been making general observations that are not directed at any particular person.

For what its worth, the OP could have done a lot worse in his selection, so I think the OP is going to be just fine.  Maybe OP will learn how to use his miles and take a trip somewhere cool that he wouldnt have otherwise been able to go.

This or PC to a card thats more suitable in the future. Its a lesson learned for the OP.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Frequent Contributor

86 wrote:

Ok, hello to everyone. I just got approved for an AMEX Delta Gold card. In your opinion, how good is this? What I mean is that AMEX I have always considered the "cool kids of credit club." Is this true and am I a part of the club?  What does it say about my credit since I was approved? Thanks.

Gongrats!, Welcom to the Amex Family Smiley Very Happy

CL $257,600
Established Member

86 wrote:

Ok, hello to everyone. I just got approved for an AMEX Delta Gold card. In your opinion, how good is this? What I mean is that AMEX I have always considered the "cool kids of credit club." Is this true and am I a part of the club?  What does it say about my credit since I was approved? Thanks.

Call the new account status number to find out the limit, in case you dont already know Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

longtimelurker wrote:

dabrian wrote:

Given the thread is "Opinion on my new card" that does seem to invite people to give opinions, which can include comments of the form that this was not the best idea.  To inform others, for example....

+1 This. If you ask for opinions, there's a strong possibility that people will actually give their true opinion on this forum. 

But to the OP - congrats on the approval but it would probably behoove you to go for a card that will best meet your needs in the future. Good luck.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Mega Contributor

AFAIK OP will not be able to PC this card until it has been active for 13 months.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.