cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions Needed! What would you REALLY pick?

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Opinions Needed! What would you REALLY pick?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@fot1 wrote:

Why are we just picking one card?.. Get 3-4 good/great cards and cover all your bases..lol

Because the "which card is best" question has to be asked in one form or another at least once per week. 

True.  So let's ask a more interesting (or at least novel) question:

If you had to have exactly 17 credit cards, AND you had to spend exactly $111.11 per month on each, which 17 would you choose?

17 Bank of America Better Balance Rewards, for 7.5% cash back, of course. But thats not remotely realistic. So Instead lets choose:

2 BOA Better Balance Rewards. 7.5% cash back on $111.11 monthly spend

2 US Bank Cash+. Probably Restaurant/Fast Food spending. 5% cash back would get you 2/3 of the way to getting a $25 yearly bonus. Thats about 6.2% cash back.

2 Sallie Mae Rewards. 5% on Grocery, Gas, Bookstores. Because you need to eat. 5% Cash back.

2 Citizens bank Green$ense cards. 25 cents cash back per transaction when you make at least 10 transactions per month. Thats 21% cash back if buying $1.19 candy bars. I suggest Nestle 100 Grand bars. No... No... Better make that Snickers.

1 Huntington Voice card. 3% cash back on Utilities.

1 Huntington Voice card. 3% cash back on Pharmacies.

1 Fidelity Amex. 2% cash back on everything that you cant find a better card for, that accepts Amex payments.

1 Capital One Quicksilver. 1.5% cash back when Fidelity card isn't accepted.

1 Chase Ink Cash. 5% cash back on Office Supply stores, Cell Phone, Land Line, Internet, Cable TV. $300 when you spend $3000 in first 3 months (limited time offer)

1 Chase Freedom. 5% rotating categories. $100 bonus

1 Discover It. 5% rotating categories

1 Citi Dividend Platinum Select. 5% rotating categories. $100 bonus.

1 Chase Sapphire Preferred. Its metal. It works well with the Freedom card. And some people travel. $100 bonus. But mainly, its metal.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 31 of 32
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions Needed! What would you REALLY pick?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh that's too easy. I'm going for Orchard Bank Secured ($250 limit) in 17 different flavors.

Did I get it right?

AS certain posters will remind you, there is no right answer as there is no "one-size fit all" solution, it depends on your goals, credit report etc.  This is a discussion forum, not a quiz.

That said,  I think your answer will be a very popular one!   Personally, I would go with 17 Chase Slates (obtained by PCing useless Chase cards like CSP, United etc into Slates over time).  That way, you can be sure you are getting absolutely no rewards, and that therefore each monthly $111.11 was spent because it was needed....

lol.  thanks for the humorous answer, i was laughing!

seriously, though, as for the OPs original question, I would take the rewards card over the NFCU card.  NFCU is a nice card to have for high limits and balance transfers (BTs are my only purpose for having my NFCU card), but is not a card that I would use to earn and use decent rewards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.